PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Introduction

Hi all!

I'm a mechanical engineer and a hobby programmer. I was a paper modeller when I was young.

There is a somewhat special reason for me to be here apart from being a part of a community with similar interests: to seek help/info for my latest programming project, a paper-modelling software. I'm curious about what's out there, what other modellers want to see in a program, is there a demand for this free program at all, to seek opinions and lots of other things.

I hope it's not spamming, but I'd like to introduce my latest paper model (an unfinished model when I was 16) and the project I'm working on:

Paper Tank model: Pzkpfw IV - YouTube
paper modeller, or the updated blog.

Maybe some day I'll get back to this wonderful craft, I really enjoyed doing it.
Google Adsense
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Very nice work. I hazard a guess you will find a lot of interest in paper modelling software (myself, for one), especially one that is a freebie. The main piece of software currently in use seems to be Pepakura. As far as features, most important to me would be it include ability to unfold and it be as intuitive as possible. And, without saying, ability to import/export all the "common" file types. The biggest failing I've seen in hobbiest software is lack of documentation.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the comment!

Yeah, lack of documentation is a problem, I will probably need help (a native English speaker maybe from this forum) for that when the project will be in a releasable beta state (and when I will have a sketch of the help document of course). The main feature of this software will be the intuitive folding, so that in best case screnario, the unfold geometry doesn't have to be manipulated. Intuitive manipulation (if necessary) of the unfolded geometry is a must too and of course all these things with high polygon counts.
I was thinking about other features, like converting the mesh to a layered structure (for layered building, I'm not good with terms), and some paper modelling specific edit features for the 3D model too.

Well, maybe I will start a topic about it (where feature ideas, comments etc can go). At the moment, the project is on hold and it won't be released soon, since I'm just a hobbyist, and the only guy making the software (yet).

If the basics are done (including printing) I will release the stuff for trying out (so that I may get some help with debugging or improving the features)

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Welcome and I agree, you have some very nice work!

I have yet to use 3D design software, mostly because of the steep learning curve. I design all of my models in AutoCAD using traditional flat pattern projections for sheetmetal layout.

If I could get a very intuitive 3D modeler, then maybe that would speed up my design process. One thing I have to do with my flat pattern layouts is to control where and what the tabs look like. I also find that some patterns don't build very well and you have to tweak some of the pieces a bit to get them just right.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck and I look forward to checking out what you come up with.

Best Regards,
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome back! Can't help on the software as I'm a pencil and paper designer - decompose into simple primitive shapes, do the math, and drawn the final in PowerPoint (or any other simple graphics program) for printing.
Yogi
Google Adsense