PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Experienced Wood Modeler But Brand New to Paper Modeling

Hello,

My name is Bob Hunt and I'm in pursuit of building my first card stock model of an old wooden ship. I've got 4 kits on hand right now - HMS Victory, HMS Bellona, HMS Cleopatra, and La Belle Poule. I hope to eventually build all 4.

I have an extensive background in model shipbuilding with over 20 years of wooden shipbuilding experience. I own a small business called The Lauck Street Shipyard LLC and my primary products are a series of detailed instructions on how to build certain wooden model ship kits. I market these detailed instructions as "The College of Model Shipbuilding".

Recently my wife and I have gone through a major life change. Our company used to design and produce wooden plank on frame model ship kits. I'm attaching some photos of some of the kits I designed and we produced. But the economy took its toll on our kit sales and the loss of income forced us out of the model ship kit business. In the end, we lost our house (which included over 1900 sq ft of workshop space) and are now living in an apartment. Apartment living isn't the best environment for wooden model shipbuilding. So I thought perhaps I could continue my model shipbuilding by working in a more apartment friendly medium, card stock modeling.

I purchased these kits many years ago and am glad I hung on to them. I'm not even sure if these kits are still available. I have many questions on how to build these models, sources for supplies, and so forth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Bob Hunt
Lauck Street Shipyard LLC
Lauck Street Shipyard LLC
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Experienced Wood Modeler But Brand New to Paper Modeling-_mg_0055.jpg   Experienced Wood Modeler But Brand New to Paper Modeling-dsc00725.jpg   Experienced Wood Modeler But Brand New to Paper Modeling-_mg_1965.jpg   Experienced Wood Modeler But Brand New to Paper Modeling-img_3772a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Excellent craftsmanship, make yourself at home, there are some amazing ship builds here in paper;
Check out our member Doris; My shipyard at home
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Welcome, Bob! those are beautiful ships!

I'm sorry to hear about the effect our times have had on your business, and on you and your wife. I think you'll find that the ship kits you have will more than answer the needs to "shipwright" in miniature.

Sounds like all those kits are from Model Shipyard in Poland. They come in and out of print, but all are generally still available. There is a wealth of info on the forum about working with Shipyard's kits. In addition to Doris' awe-inspiring build, be sure to check out Birder's build of HMS Cleopatra.

Welcome Aboard!

Wyvern
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Welcome Bob, I'm sorry to hear about your modeling business having problems. I've visited your web site many times and often wanted to place an order, but lack of funds held me back....... that's why I build card models, way less expensive....

Anyway, hope your adventure with card models takes you in new directions and you learn something new.

Although I'm pretty much an aviation builder I still enjoy all aspects of card modeling and we have some excellent ship builders in this group. Keep your eyes on Doris. She is an amazing ship modeler. I'm not kidding, she's world class. You'll see.

Enjoy,
Swampfox
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Bob:

First, welcome to the forum, and second, I also would like to express my regrets that the economy has claimed yet another victim. It is unfortunate, and I wish you and yours the best.

Also, let me echo everyone else and say that you have come to the right place for a world-wide wealth of information. I see that you've checked out Doris' build of Victory. It is an amazing build. I've shown those photos to people and they just can't believe that it's paper.

As a fellow shipwright, let me also say that paper is a fantastic medium in which to work, because ultimately, all you need do is print another page of parts. Can't beat that!

I for one look forward to your builds, and to your continued presence on the forum here.
Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the comments and welcome. I'm looking forward to getting started. I've decided on the Bellona for my first build. I'm going out this morning and pick up some supplies.

It was Doris' Victory that really caught my eye, unbelievable detail that I doubt could even be matched in wood. Excellent work and by far most inspiring. I look forward to browsing the forum and seeing other similar models. I'm also interested in some aviation models, a change of pace for me.

Take care,

Bob
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Bob: There are some excellent tutorials on papercraft here on the forum, and I posted a thread about tools, if you go to the top of the forum page, and use the search function, look for "Tools of the Trade" and that will give you an idea of an intermediate set of things that you will find extremely useful.

As always, feel free to start your own threads asking about whatever you need. This is the most helpful bunch of modelers I've ever seen, and I'm proud to be a part of this group.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Again, welcome Bob. A sad thing that you had to give up your business. Went to your website and had a look at those sample chapters for the different "courses". Now, there's a college I'd like to attend!

I look forward to your getting warmed up as a paper modeler, and what might come out of that, manual-wise. The difference isn't that large, I note from your tool suggestions. The sophomore course seems good reading also for paper modelers.

Leif
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM

Hi Leif,

Yes, my courses are extremely detailed and assume the modeler has no experience. They take you through the complete construction of the subject model. I'm not sure if there's a market for similar courses for card modeling but certainly when I started thinking about building my first card model the thought struck my mind. In my research I had a difficult time finding any information at all and it wasn't until stumbled up on this forum and got some basic information that I decided to move forward on my first card model.

Thanks lancer525 on the search idea, I'll check that out as well. I just got back from the store and picked up some 1mm matting board, a new pair of scissors, some paper glue and some satin varnish. I'm going to start cutting this afternoon and see what I can get done. Might start a build log in the near future if I have some success with this.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Welcome Aboard

Bob,

Welcome aboard. I've looked at your work many times and admire the amount of time and patience you have dedicated to it and am sorry that the economy has taken its toll on another great piece of our sparse ship modeling matrix.

Here's to hoping that you'll find this a great place to regroup and recuperate whilst the economy does whatever economies do in times like these...,

My Very Best Regards, +Gil
Google Adsense