PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.11 MB
Not Exactly New

Good Day to you all fellow paper modeling enthusiasts. I have been a member here before briefly but never really made my presence known. I have been working with paper crafts and other artistically creative media for my entire life. Using paper forms for my wargaming/RPG obsessions and my costume prop creations only took hold over the last few years.
I am already adept at constructing other people's projects and have made adjustments to improve upon detail and accuracy to models I have built but where I really want to go with this hobby is to begin creating my own designs. I have had limited experience with Pepekura and would love advice on what programs to use for ripping or creating 3D models to be unfolded in Pep. I prefer .pdf format or even .gif or .doc to print templates from but I have come across the use of 3ds documents and would like to know what software (preferably freeware) that you all use for your work so that I may begin to contribute to the community.
I should mention that my areas of fascination very widely. I do construct a great deal of models for use with Warhammer and Warhammer 40K but I have a long time affair with tall ships of the Golden Age of Piracy and also love the WW I era battles of the air as well as Steampunk genre creations. So if you have advice or questions I would love to be more social.

Thanks,
Baz
Google Adsense
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard! Chime in as you see fit and let us know what you're working on.
Yogi
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 214.11 MB
Currently, I am working on using up every available byte of memory on my HDD to download paper models of many different types downloaded from many different places.
My last projects that have been put on hold were creating a full-scale Warhammer 40K Godwyn-Deaz model Bolter and a Sister's of Battle armour set for cosplay for my wife. I was planning to create a Dark Eldar costume for myself until we discovered that at 1:1 scale the bolter against my wife's diminutive 4'9" frame was far more disproportionate than desired so I changed my costume plans to that of a Space Marine and change her weapon choices to Bolt Pistol and Chainsword. I was also working on the Drop Pod miniature model and the Rhino Mk I from the files at BWC where I was previously a member. All things went on hold (including the miniature wargame terrain making business I had started) when we had to move into a vastly smaller space and I have no room to work on large projects. I am on a medical leave from work and with time on my hands I though this would be the perfect time to rejuvenate my card model hobby with some smaller projects to start.
My first plan is to build the 1:1 scale replica of the Star Trek Original Series Klingon Disruptor Pistol downloaded from Homespun Magixx website to be used with the recreation of my original Klingon costume for convention going (and as a display for home).
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry if I have overwhelmed with information here. Just happy to be here.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Enthusiasm is definitly a plus in this hobby. Welcome aboard!