PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 890.46 MB
Hello from Andrew, in San Jose, California

Hi Builders ! I have been a paper / card model fan for many years. In 1968 ( some time near there, my memory is dusty ) we were on a family visit to San Francisco, Ca. There was a store, Jefferies Toys, and they had paper models. I bought a few, an old fashioned car, a castle, and a tank ( I think ). It was very interesting to make a three dimensional thing out of two dimensional paper. Yes, I know that paper has three dimensions, but the thickness is so small ! And, I have been building on and off since then. Paper models were available from a local hobby shop, San Antonio Hobbies. When they stopped selling, I found that a family friend was also a card model dealer, Lou Dausse, from Paper Models International. ( PaperModels.net ). I have placed many orders and built many models. I also buy from eBay. You just never know what will turn up there. I have a few shelves in my book case full, and two boxes in the garage. A few ended up in the trash, too. Patience is hard to learn. I just finished a Blohm & Voss 141. In 1:33 scale. It was incredibly difficult, and really doesn't look very good. But, I think I learned a lot building it. I also finished Fiddlers Green Air Truk. What a goofy looking plane. I love it. I go through phases, for awhile I will build buildings, and then turn to boats, now planes. I have a few things on the NEXT pile, it always seem to grow faster than I can build. I just started a 1925 FIAT 209, a cartoon version from the comic Gaston. I really don't know much about it, except it is a French model. I usually build at night, after our two kids get to bed. I perch on the edge of the couch, and build on the seat of a chair, while watching some TV with the sound turned off, just reading the captions. It sounds wacky, but it works out pretty well. Ok, enough. See ya' in the forums ! - Andrew -
Google Adsense
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Glad You Found the Place...,

Welcome aboard AndrewO...,

I'm up the road from you in the East Bay. Need to get some of the other Bay Area people to join for a quorum.

-Gil
Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Coolness! I hear you on the kids. I havent built in a while - too darn busy but I need to get back into it now that I finished my first recolor.

Sounds like you are working on an interesting build! Love Gaston - how about a pic or two?
Chris
Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome, Andrew! I can understand the dilemma of the "to build next" pile! Hope to see some pics of your various builds!