PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Quote:
Why do you make paper models? Mostly for the pleasure of creating or for decorating purposes too?
I think that the answer to that question might be as diverse as the paper modeling community itself. For me, the short answer is that I enjoy the creative process of making a relatively realistic model from flat sheets of paper.

Your reference to model engineers reminds me of movie model making. If there's anyone who who loves to talk about model making more that Adam Savage of the TV show "Myth Busters" I don't know who it would be. It might be worth a shot to send him an email describing your thesis project in some detail. His email address is:

adam at adamsavage dot com

Hope this helps,

Curt

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 03-16-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Edited email address to slow down spam-crawlers - not that Adam doesn't put this one out publicly, just being consistent.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi again.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I’ve been busy twisting the project in an interesting direction.

Since last my project has developed from an initial domain of designing a construction toy for adults, to specifying this to a modular interior design product. A lamp that is modular assembled and emphasizes the use of 3D prints for customizing it. (Interior design sort of represents the adult equivalent to toys)
In the exploration of this design, I have stumbled upon a couple of interesting areas/problems:

- In the assembly process what makes LEGO more exciting to assemble than for example IKEA? (I'm very interested in your opinion regarding this and I will post my conlusion to it later)
- What functions emphasizes 3D printed modules over cardboard or clay?
- How prominent is home build/custom figures and sculptures in your homes? On level with books as accent decorations or as more central art pieces?

I will post some more pictures to the blog and facebook page soon.

- Torben
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
My personal answers to your questions:

- It would be the size what makes LEGO more enjoyable. At least all IKEA furnitures that I worked with were assembled as easily as LEGO in terms of fit and documentation, it's only the mass and size of the pieces which make furnitures harder to assemble. (There's another reason that came onto my mind while typing: You build a LEGO model BECAUSE of the process, while building a furniture from IKEA, the building process is just the neccessary and sometimes undesired add-on).
- I'm not sure if I got your question right. If you as what are the practical reasons of using 3D-prints over the other materials, it's on the one hand the precission of the final product and on the other side the stronger durability of plastic over cardboard.
- Well.. you don't wanna see my room... it's a mess... because of all the plastic kit boxes and reference books which don't fit into my shelfs anymore ;-) Additionally, I have two cabinets full of finished models. So in this way, modeling is overpresent in my home ;-)

Thorsten
Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
My personal answers to your questions:

- It would be the size what makes LEGO more enjoyable. At least all IKEA furnitures that I worked with were assembled as easily as LEGO in terms of fit and documentation, it's only the mass and size of the pieces which make furnitures harder to assemble. (There's another reason that came onto my mind while typing: You build a LEGO model BECAUSE of the process, while building a furniture from IKEA, the building process is just the neccessary and sometimes undesired add-on).
- I'm not sure if I got your question right. If you as what are the practical reasons of using 3D-prints over the other materials, it's on the one hand the precission of the final product and on the other side the stronger durability of plastic over cardboard.
- Well.. you don't wanna see my room... it's a mess... because of all the plastic kit boxes and reference books which don't fit into my shelfs anymore ;-) Additionally, I have two cabinets full of finished models. So in this way, modeling is overpresent in my home ;-)

Thorsten
Hi Thorsten

Yes size of Lego difinitely has something to do with it, since the smaller size makes it more tangible. I further think the reason can be found in the approach. While IKEA has a lot of focus on context at the selling point, with their exhibitions, the process of assembling is focused only on the small steps from the instruction booklet. LEGO on the other hand has a lot of focus on the context during the assembly, in the sense that they always show an overview of the small parts relation to the context of the model.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.44 MB
At least for me, I don't think that this has been a reason. My LEGO-time is over since about 15 years, and I can't remember that there were other pictures in the catalogs than the finished products back then. So I decided just from the end products and the short description about the features what I wanted and what not. However, I can't speak for today's LEGO.
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorst View Post
At least for me, I don't think that this has been a reason. My LEGO-time is over since about 15 years, and I can't remember that there were other pictures in the catalogs than the finished products back then. So I decided just from the end products and the short description about the features what I wanted and what not. However, I can't speak for today's LEGO.
It's actually more the process of assembling I refer to. The instructions are good at keeping you updated on the big picture of what you're doing, not just which blocks to put together. But I agree that the size different definitely plays a role in the joy of building.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Torben,
Back to paper modeling. Purpose is the enjoyment of creating the model; said enjoyment comes from many sources (like all modeling). Some reasons to work in paper: it's cheap, level of detail limited only by the builder's imagination and skill, superb graphics (for custom work or photo-realism), and a very wide range of subjects. Paper models are also relatively straightforward to design from scratch (within the limits of the material) and the availability of 3-D software has greatly extended the limits of what can be done.
Yogi
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
For me model building is a relaxation process plus (if I ever finish one) a replication in scale of a vehicle, object or person. I became interested in paper modeling due to subjects being available that weren't in plastic. As I learned more about paper modeling I also like the idea and enjoy taking something from a piece of printed paper and transforming it into a 3d finished piece.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
For me model building is a relaxation process plus (if I ever finish one) a replication in scale of a vehicle, object or person. I became interested in paper modeling due to subjects being available that weren't in plastic. As I learned more about paper modeling I also like the idea and enjoy taking something from a piece of printed paper and transforming it into a 3d finished piece.
Hi
In relation to the model building being a relaxation process, are you able to relax in the same way when assembling IKEA furniture? What do you think that would take, as it's a very related process, coming from a flat box to being 3D furniture.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 AM

The lamp concept has come from an open construction kit to a more limited construction with the possibility of making a full truncated icosahedron.
This means a spherical lamp would consist of 20 hexagonal conic modules.

Assembling the modules will probably be by having magnets in all sides of the modules to give an easy overview of how to connect one module to another.

The hexagons’ conical depth is meant to facilitate add-ons/custom features. This way 3D printed objects can be placed in the upwards pointing modules for both sculptural purposes and to create lighting effects.
The magnets holding the modules in place can be used to hold add-ons in place in the downward pointing modules. This could be light filters/shades or electric modules like spotlight.

Currently the development is focused on the system of assembling and the styling related to this.

- Torben
Google Adsense

Tags
building, construction, master thesis, modular, product development