PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
hi torbenhl I create from real cars that's concept cars that I love to build after I create them to test fit make to share with everyone to download for free! I do my dam hardest to make what is has never been in to cardstock from a printer! here is a sample of what I do for a living!

papermodelmatersexclusive's feel free to look around
everything on my website is totally free! to download just click on the model you want and save it as! have fun any questions feel free to send me a pm if you want too!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
Thumbs up to Vermin_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
You can post links after ten posts, I think. It may be less

I build downloadable paper models. Cut, Fold and Glue
this is what I was looking for in a paper model star car!
Attached Thumbnails
Designing a model building platform-star_car_001_bttf_bttfpt.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 342.84 MB
Hi Torben!
I have followed your interesting project for a while, and i'm quite intrigued

First of all, when talking about modular design i think you should see models offered by scalescenes.com (Scalescenes.com - Download and print realistic model railway buildings). Their building models can be build separately like ordinary paper kits, but what makes their kit different is that you can arrange each completed building with each other like lego blocks to make town/rail scenes, for example you can build several terraced houses (T020) and joint them together to make rows of terraced houses, or you can combine it with corner shops (T021) or other buildings. Their multi-storey buildings like office blocks (T007) and multi-storey car park (T035) also build in modular way so you can adjust the number of storeys according to your need. you can also choose textures for each buildings

Second, I made models of military planes or vehicles most of the time, and usually military vehicles have various variant of a particular model of a vehicle (uh.. for example the German Panzer IV can be divided into Ausf. A,B,C,D or F variant) my idea is why don't somebody create a kit with two parts of assembly, the first contain common parts that could be used for all variants and the second contains parts for individual variant of the vehicle that you can choose? as far as i know Kancho from Kancho's paperwing uses this idea on some of his models, but i don't know if somebody else already uses this idea..

Hope my opinions can help you on your thesis project
Old 04-21-2014, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbenhl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbenhl View Post
Do you currently use 3D printing in combination with any of your projects? Which types of modular kits do you use?

The basis of my project:
This way it will be a platform for facilitating the personal use of 3D printers along with being a construction kit for model building.
The idea development will be based on the following problem statement:

“How can a modular construction kit both facilitate model building and enhance the qualities and use of a personal 3D printer?”
Hello Torben.

1. For sure, 3D printed elements would be welcomed by some papermodelers. As photo-etched, or laser cut elements are.
Personally, I'm paper-nazi, and my models are hand paper-made at 99% (lets say, the model weight), and other 1% are hand made elements of wood, or copper wire. Classic papermodeling: I see no reason to use pre-manufactured (die-casted, lathe-turned, PE, resin etc) elements.
Of course, the model (paper, or any other like Billing boats kits), built with support of 3D printed details would be awesome - no doubts about it. But if we will be able to print details, why not to print some larger elements? Or the whole model? Will it be scale modeling/shipbuilding, or just putting parts together?
And wheres the place for pushing the limits further? Fighting the shaking hands, the time running out late in the midnight, aching eyes, shattered nerves and so on ??

To the point: great idea, I can imagine the paper kit with attached 3D printed details. Lets say, 20mm Oerlikon gun with Mk4 mount, or other light-cal guns detailed the way photo-etching will never get close to.
I did few tiny boxes/containers digital models, later 3D printed, as a template for cast-resin. Now, imagine 1/400 or 1/200 scale naval mine

2. Modular kit. I'm not sure what do you mean. I would say "modular model" - the model designed to be build the modular way (consisting of few separated, equipped in details, modules). I did Norwegian FFG Nansen class 1/200 scale model this way: superstructures, helo hangar, exhaust stacks, main mast, were built as separated blocks, after completion inserted in designated place and position. I found it very effective way of build (as in real shipbuilding):

KNM Thor Heyerdahl - Nansen class frigate, scale 1/200, by...

3. Regarding IKEA and Lego. Half of my apartment (IKEA is located 8mins by car from my location) is equipped with IKEA stuff - I call it "Lego for adults". Putting all these parts together is a great fun for me, and my 4 1/2 yo daughter. The only thing I would apply to the design, is marking the elements with digits according to build guide and arrows pointing the top/bottom. It would be helpful when assembling more furnitures/cabinets: sometimes guessing which parts is which, and how to assemble it, takes too much time.

But I assume you are not IKEA engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ahsani View Post
my idea is why don't somebody create a kit with two parts of assembly, the first contain common parts that could be used for all variants and the second contains parts for individual variant of the vehicle that you can choose?
My latest designs in scale 1/400 allow to build different variants of the model, simply by modificating the model with alternative modules - best example is Russian SSK pr.877v.
Attached Thumbnails
Designing a model building platform-mina_morska_typu_m_1908-39.jpg  

Last edited by strk; 04-21-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Smile

Yours is a great idea, and probably ensures a solid future for paper modeling because you can add download designs for plastic parts to paper kits, such as stairs, windows, doors, guttering, gun barrels, railings, etc. You can also of course design downloads for whole plastic kits if people have 3D printers. I can see it will eventually replace the manufacture of many kits. This is the future, don't mock it!
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM

The idea in the lamp is the possibility to both partly customize it through assembling modules and by further adding add-ons later. This could be either home made add-ons like 3D prints or cut outs to manipulate the light or retail add-ons like small speakers or spot lights that could be held in place by the same magnets that hold the modules together.
Do you have any further ideas of how it could be used?

Torben
Old 07-26-2014, 01:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Torben,

This is a very interesting item. I myself tried ones to produce a solid 3D hull, instead of the "Plank on frame" method also used in paper modelling. The only problem was start working with a 3D modelling program. I started to learn CHEETAH, but I failed to learn it, maybe my age I asked someone else to design a destroyer hull for me, which he did, but than the next problem came up, to find someone to CNC mill it for me. I asked several companies if they were willing to mill a solid wooden hull for me, but nobody was willing to do it for me, payed of course.
So maybe it could be made by 3D printing, probably not solid, in the future, that would be great, to get a nice quality hull, instead of the always somewhat warped paper hulls built in the frame method.

John.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is a model ship called Emiliana where the hull is made of stacked pieces of card that are then sanded to attain the shape needed.
Coastal Freighter Emiliana
Building the Hull: Detailed Steps explains the process.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Thanks for the informative information about building a solid paper hull.

John.

Tags
building, construction, master thesis, modular, product development