PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 509.67 MB
Lightbulb I am new here

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, although I have been a long-time lurker in its PASA section. That is, I am mainly interested in astronomical and space subjects, and more specifically in unmanned planetary exploration. I got used to build paper models as props for public lectures and various show-and-tells organized by the local planetarium/astronomy club (located in Belgium, by the way). The first one I remember of dates back to 2008, with a rudimentary reproduction of the MESSENGER spacecraft to help presenting the latest results and images acquired during its very first fly-by of the planet Mercury.

But the papercrafting bug bit me since, and soon enough I began to appreciate the hobby per se, acquiring more and more tools, broadening the range of types of paper to work with, and trying to hone my skills on progressively harder models, sometimes just to decorate my shelves, provided hat they are always related to astronomy and space.

I thought it was time to start being an active member, in recognition of all the knowledge and inspiration gained by visiting this website regularly.
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum

Tim
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 594.81 MB
Glad you could join us.

If you need anything feel free to private message me, I'm on here 24/7/365.

-RunwayOneSixRight (Matthew)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome to the forum. Did you enlarge the models you used for props?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 509.67 MB
Thank your for your warm welcome.

As for enlarging models: usually not, although I easily understand why it would be useful. Three months ago I gave a talk about the MER mission to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Opportunity's landing, and built both Delta II rockets designed by Erik te Groen at 1:35 scale, a tad more than twice their original size (i.e. about 4 feet tall). There was a clear reason however: I already had two diecast models of the rovers scaling at 1:35, so it was just to make the whole set self-coherent. Now, the funny thing is that the rockets weren't even finished when they were presented, but luckily only the smallest and almost unnoticeable details and elements were lacking. Maybe I will write more details about this build in the appropriate section of the forum.
Google Adsense

Tags
introduction