PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.79 MB
Hello from another new member...

Hi, everyone... time to get this obligatory introduction done, so I can take part more fully 'round here.

I first discovered paper models a few years ago when I was very broke, and having to take care of a few children. I didn't really go very far with it at that time, except to download as much of the various free offerings as I could find, and build one or two sort of silly or incidental things (the two I can remember are the "ceiling cat" model, and the entrance pillar to the haunted mansion one, which I think is still around today-- that fellow that did several for amusement park attractions? I can't recall his name). Anyway, about three years ago I got interested again, and built a WWI plane--- a fairly nice Fokker D VII. At the time I was playing Rise of Flight a bit, and was very fascinated to be able to hold in my hands a model of a plane I was flying in a virtual world. I drifted away that time because I honestly couldn't find the area of paper modeling that would keep me going, interest-wise... Aircraft (which was most of what I was seeing then) weren't quite it... cars didn't seem that compelling. I don't know--- I enjoyed doing it, but couldn't find my subject.

Just a little while ago, I had to help my stepdaughter build a model of the Globe Theater, and it really reminded me how much I enjoy the activity of building paper models itself. As soon as I was done with that, I went off looking and discovered the architectural models that Clever Models do for the model railroading crowd. Kind of ironic, because I'm not into model railroading myself... but those buildings really did it for me. Having built some of those, I saw that I really needed other things, cars and people and accessories, to "fill out" those models and give them life--- say, to set in a diorama or make a scene; not just have them sitting alone as a building.

So, that quest has really brought me fully into the paper modeling community... I see now how large it is; but on the other hand I see how many things are still missing. I've purchased many models from different designers, seen how widely the quality varies, learned a lot from some of them, been vastly disappointed in some... I have started doing recolors, retextures, and sometime complete redesigns of models I have either found free or purchased, and very soon now I will be doing my own designs from the ground up. Classic cars and streetside accessories will be some of the first, so I can get these buildings really done, and set into a complete scene. I also have it in mind to do some buildings of my own, in Clever Models' fashion (and hopefully up to their level of quality!)-- such as an old drive-in hamburger stand in my parents hometown... it was opened in 1939 or so, and still exists today! But I intend to render it as my parents would remember it from the 50's or so.

A lot of words for an introduction, but there you have it--- it's my story and I'm stickin' to it! I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better--- I think I'm in this hobby to stay, this time.

Thank you for having me here.
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome to PM.com. Very nice introduction there. There is definitely a lot to be seen here. The members are very helpful, so ask questions. Most importantly, have fun
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Welcome! Thanks for joining the forum. Glad you re-entered the hobby. Take your time, although you seem to have advanced pretty far, and look around. We're fairly friendly folk for the most part. Hope you come to feel as if you have a home here.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.79 MB
Thanks, guys... I will certainly keep your advice in mind. Of the unique things about this hobby, I think one of the easiest to see of them is how we all stand on the shoulders of one another (or those who came before) to reach our own heights.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the site.
Google Adsense