PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.23 MB
Who is CrimsonLine?

Hi, all! Thanks for the welcome - this is a fantastic-looking forum. I was lurking for a while before I joined.

My real name's Denes House, and I'm a husband, father, pastor, and Trekker living in Poughkeepsie, NY.

I started building plastic models back when I was a kid, but I was never happy with my results, because I had no patience. I gave it up in my early teens.

About ten years ago, I discovered the computer program Blender, and started building CG models. My most notable contributions to that community were a Buck Rogers Starfighter based on Alan Sinclair's blueprints, and a "Hybrid Enterprise" that was midway between the NX-01 and the original series E. I also built a lot of my own creations. But I got stuck for time, and my involvement in the hobby petered out. I built my last CG model about five years ago.

Then last year, my 11-year-old son got a Star Trek model kit for his birthday, and the two of us worked together to assemble, paint, and decal it. He lost interest partway through, but I got hooked. The result was a decent-looking 1:2500 Enterprise-C. I then built a Millennium Falcon from the Metal Earth collection, which was a blast - and a lot like paper modeling, by the way. Then I built a three-ship Movie-Era kit from Polar Lights, doing my all-time favorite ship, the Refit Enterprise, along with the Reliant and a K'Tinga.

For Father's Day, my daughter gave me a 1:1000 NX-01 Enterprise kit from Polar Lights, and I took my time on it. It came out reasonably well, and I immediately wanted to build another, but I was out of discretionary cash. Then I saw somebody post on a Facebook group about having built a paper model, and I remembered seeing a bunch of paper model downloads some time in the past. I did a search, and came across this site. I have been lurking for a while, but finally decided to start commenting when I saw legal01's "Monster" 1:200 Enterprise Refit build. If anything can get my juices flowing, it's the Refit E!

Anyway, I just started building my all-time favorite SMALL sci-fi ship, the Buck Rogers Earth Directorate Starfighter, using Martin Saenger's kit. So far, so good - it is an elegantly-designed kit.

I love science-fiction. I am an experienced amateur comic-book illustrator. I love kayaking, European board gaming, and have recently started playing Star Trek: Attack Wing. I enjoy mowing my lawn, playing with my kids, and getting involved in intense discussions of religion and politics (don't worry, I won't do that here! ). I just visited the Mall of America's Star Trek: The Exhibition in full TOS Command Uniform, which was a blast.

Thanks for welcoming me here, and I hope to build with you guys for a while!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
Welcome to the club!
Gotta watch out for some of these paper models, they tend to take over a lot of desk space (reaching over a Saturn S-2 stage as I type this).
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Excellent introduction post. There are so many projects that you can work on in this medium, you will probably find that you are like many of us, having to prioritize which model gets built first.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
Wow, this is what I call an in-depth introduction!

Welcome to the forums, CL! Great to have you here! I must say that I have never seen a better CG TF than yours. I have seen many renderings of it. Hats off!

You say you are a hobby illustrator? I used to write and draw TOS Battlestar Galactica comics (used to because I don't have the time for it any more; however, I am certain that I could swing into action any time again ).

Have fun and enjoy!

Marcell from Germany
Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Crimson
Welcome aboard. Why not post some pictures of your efforts? There is a forum for non-paper-based models called "other things we do & make" where your plastic or metal models could be displayed.
Regards,
Phil
Google Adsense
Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the background info!

I look forward to seeing your models.

Don
Old 08-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.23 MB
Thanks, Revell-Fan! It's always exciting to see renderings of my models other folks have done.

Yes, I illustrate comics on the side. I just finished a piece for a friend based on the "seraphim" from the Bible's Ezekiel chapter 1. Right now, I'm working on a piece featuring the DC Comics superheroes and villains from the "New 52" facing off a la the classic "Panic in the Sky" storyline from the Superman comics. I've attached pix of both of these.

Thanks, pjabraham - I will take advantage of the "other stuff" forum when I can!

Don Boose - I look forward to making them!
Attached Thumbnails
Who is CrimsonLine?-2014-07-24-11.35.55-1.jpg   Who is CrimsonLine?-2014-06-06-17.03.28.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nicely done
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Awesome! You're a multi-talented man, sir. Drive on!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Welcome,

Too bad you are on the east coast otherwise I would consider changing churches (assuming you are of the John Wesley tradition).

Jim Nunn