PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 09-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Red face Hi everyone. Hooked already

My name is Mike I'm 47 years young and live in Kendal, Cumbria, England. I started building plastic models as a kid then stopped when I grew up and got married,had kids etc. A few years ago I became single again and restarted my hobby mainly bulding large scale F1 cars, my last being a 1/12 Tamiya Tyrrell P34. After recently moving into a small flat I found I could no longer use My airbrush or spray cans due to lack of space but hated the thought of giving up my hobby so after much searching on various auction sites on the internet I stumbled across a paper model Battleship and thought wow this is what I've been looking for, no painting just cutting out pieces and gluing together, what could be easier right? Wrong I bought a GPM Prince of Wales Battleship (couldn't find HMS Belfast my favourite Battleship from my childhood) and thought I would get stuck in when it arrived, big mistake I soon realised I was in way over my head when it comes to this type of modeling so I bought a few Tanks thinking they would be easier (GPM Leopard 2A4, WAK M24 Chaffee and Kartonowa Cromwell MKIV) and they weren't so here I am looking and learning. You guys and your talent humbles me.
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Smile

Hello and Welcome to PM DOT COM. You are most welcome here. Enjoy
Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Yep, it can make you humble really quick. Ya need to walk before you run, and a battleship is running really fast. Try this site, has a wide range of models with different skill levels, and very good instructions.

Paper Craft - Canon CREATIVE PARK

I have built a few of their models and find them very enjoyable.

Welcome to the insanity'
Beard
Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Beard and am already 1 step ahead, Printed off 3 cars and a twin rotor helicopter from their site at the weekend on printer paper to practice cutting and laminating on card. Have used 300 gsm card with Rapide permanent photo mount .Will see how that goes. 1st model will be an Alfa Romeo 8C2900B Corto.

Last edited by bmwmik530; 09-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmik530 View Post
My name is Mike I'm 47 years young and live in Kendal, Cumbria, England. I started building plastic models as a kid then stopped when I grew up and got married,had kids etc. A few years ago I became single again and restarted my hobby mainly bulding large scale F1 cars, my last being a 1/12 Tamiya Tyrrell P34. After recently moving into a small flat I found I could no longer use My airbrush or spray cans due to lack of space but hated the thought of giving up my hobby so after much searching on various auction sites on the internet I stumbled across a paper model Battleship and thought wow this is what I've been looking for, no painting just cutting out pieces and gluing together, what could be easier right? Wrong I bought a GPM Prince of Wales Battleship (couldn't find HMS Belfast my favourite Battleship from my childhood) and thought I would get stuck in when it arrived, big mistake I soon realised I was in way over my head when it comes to this type of modeling so I bought a few Tanks thinking they would be easier (GPM Leopard 2A4, WAK M24 Chaffee and Kartonowa Cromwell MKIV) and they weren't so here I am looking and learning. You guys and your talent humbles me.
welcome on board.jsc make a nice model of hms belfast thats not too complicated to build.they do a good range oof ships,my only problem with their kits is that they are at 1;400 scale.i prefer 1;200.as you are in uk can i suggest you look up marcle models as they have a good range,practise on canon as they are free
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum

Tim
Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hiya Mike! Don't know how I missed your arrival. Anyway, welcome to the site. Thanks for joining. Take a while and look around (the forum is kind of on the largish side), ask questions and enjoy yourself. Two subforums that should prove of immediate value to you are First Cuts- A Lounge and Tips and Tricks. They should answer many of your questions. Welcome aboard.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the site.

A quick tip on making your paper models look good is to color the edges of the cut out pieces. You can try to match the color but in most cases a shade of grey will do to hide the white. Do that before glueing and have the printed side facing away from you so when you slip the printed side will not get marked. You can use various kinds of water color pencils or felt tip pens. Some use acrylic paints, too.

You can also try printing the model directly on some 199gsm or 177gsm cardstock instead of printing on plain paper and laminating. Thicker cardstock is useful for making internal supports for things like airplane fuselages. (Cereal boxes provide some good material for making supports.)

Enjoy the hobby, and don't get overwhelmed by the amount of tools and stuff you start collecting.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
hi Michael my name is mike too and I'm all ready 47 years old like you! are we related?? I live in Brooklyn N.Y.!