PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 04-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 377.4 KB
Newb

Hi, I have been building models on and off for a very long time, all kinds, plastic and wood. For the past 10 years or so wooden ships, from kits (always bashed) and a couple attempts at scratch. I was reading a build of the USS Maine in card on the ModelShipWorld forum and I thought I HAVE to do that! I really love the pre dreadnought battleships and cruisers. I live about an hour from Philadelphia, and have climbed around the USS Olympia (tiny!), and the New Jersey (gigantic!). I've downloaded Digital Navy's Oregon. I know it's probably too complicated for a first build, but I figure some of my skills should cross over, and I can keep printing out parts until I'm satisfied with them. I stumbled on this forum and have been blown away. Amazing stuff. Right now I'm reading Michael Mash's Iowa build, he's a true artist! Gotta get that one. Looks like a lot of good builds to enjoy.

Kurt
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hi Kurt! Welcome to the site. Thanks for joining. We do have some excellent ship modelers here. I am constantly amazed at the quality of work they turn out. Working with paper and card as a building material is different than with other mediums. Would highly suggest you begin with some smaller, easier models and work with them until you get a feel for the material. Whatever you do we're glad you're here. Welcome aboard.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the forum.
If you look around you will find many great threads with ship builds.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 377.4 KB
I know I should go simpler, but..... This kit has 3 color schemes, and I plan to try parts in the other scheme first and keep doing them over till I like them. I am trying to glean what I can from other builds first. So in the end I'm incredibly stubborn and will probably build this thing a few times. I couldn't think of anything else I'd like to try. I'm in no rush. And parts are unlimited.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hello and Welcome to Paper Modelers Dot Com - Great to have you here. Enjoy our forum.
Google Adsense