PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I believe you are talking about George "Buzz" Beurling. He is recognized as the most successful Canadian fighter pilot of WWII. He survived the war but was unable to adjust to civilian life.

So in 1948, Beurling was recruited by the IAF to fly P-51 Mustangs for them. On the way to Israel, after a test flight, he crashed his Noorduyn Norseman transport aircraft while landing at Aeroporto dell'Urbe in Rome. The crash was fatal, killing both Beurling and his co-pilot, and the theory at the time was that the plane had been sabotaged, but it has never been proven. One of the many interesting and relatively unknown stories of the early days of the Israeli Air Force.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
thats the guy. i had thought he died ferrying a b17.just a story i remembered from the past.wasnt his nickname screwball?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinfl View Post
I believe you are talking about George "Buzz" Beurling. He is recognized as the most successful Canadian fighter pilot of WWII. He survived the war but was unable to adjust to civilian life.

So in 1948, Beurling was recruited by the IAF to fly P-51 Mustangs for them. On the way to Israel, after a test flight, he crashed his Noorduyn Norseman transport aircraft while landing at Aeroporto dell'Urbe in Rome. The crash was fatal, killing both Beurling and his co-pilot, and the theory at the time was that the plane had been sabotaged, but it has never been proven. One of the many interesting and relatively unknown stories of the early days of the Israeli Air Force.
i think the best example of using cunning was the way the iaf got the plans for their mirages
Old 11-09-2015, 10:17 AM

"Screwball" was one of his nicknames. Apparently he was a pretty wild character...some say unstable.

I don't think I've heard the story about how the Israelis got the plans for their Mirages.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 PM

I am currently working on another early plane that was a forerunner of the IAF...an RWD-8 with call letters VQ-PAG. One area that I am having trouble with is finding the colours for the interior of the cockpits. Does anyone out there know what they should be, or can you refer me to where I can find this info?

Cheers!
Google Adsense

Tags
history, idf-iaf