PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 12-27-2015, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 236.98 MB
Cool How to begin a paper model

Hi, I'm a New member of this Group, I have building plastics models since I have 6 year old, now I have 63, but this is mi first attempt to do something in Paper. I really don't know how begin, What is the better class of paper for print the models, and more important which class of glue to use, and of course to learn every tip for make better models.

I'm a Ship modeler mainly. Tanks for your help
Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
What do you think is the best paper for modeling

Glue-What do we use?

Sorry for the short answer but am rushed at the moment. These two links should get you started. Also look at the Tips and Tricks and First Cuts - A Lounge subforums. Lots of good info there.

Oh, welcome aboard!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome. Depending on the model you are building and scale, you have a strong likelihood of needing somewhat curved shapes, so I would probably lean towards 65 lb cardstock. Do you have your eye on any particular models?
Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
canon have a couple of freebie ship models to practise on
Old 12-28-2015, 12:39 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Canon Creative Park is a good place to start. Pick an aircraft model or simple ship and print it on 65# cover stock (from any office supply store).

Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park

Another good starter model is Currell Graphic's V-1 Buzz Bomb or his Concorde SST.
His instructions are excellent and you'll learn most of the basics.
The models are free.

V-1 Flying Bomb - currell.net

BAC/Aérospatiale Concorde - currell.net

Don't worry about making mistakes. You can simply print the kit again. And feel free to ask questions here. That's what the forum is for.

Welcome aboard. It's a great hobbby.
--David
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2015, 12:47 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Paper modeling isn't harder than building plastic or wooden kits; it's just different. The basic skills one needs are very easy to learn, especially if you have some modeling experience already.

Since you're mainly a ship-builder, take a look at Digital Navy. The site has a half dozen free ship kits for downloading.
Free Ship Paper Model Downloads | Modele kartonowe | Kartonmedell | Digitalnavy.com

Again, if you find yourself stumped or just not sure how to proceed with those kits, ask here. Sharing skills and ideas is what we do here.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.07 GB
Another good place for ship kits is David Hathaway's Paper Shipwright. There are some free ship kits as well as lighthouses.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Digital navy has only ONE model that can be downloaded. The remainder are dead links.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Yes, some paper around 177gsm for most of the parts. Some 199gsm for can be used also(gsm = g/m²). Try some out to see what works best for you.

As for glue, a pva (white craft glue) glue is good. Aleene's Quick Dry is one that is available in the USA. Some people like to use UHU glue. You need to try out a bunch of glues to find the one(s) you like.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All good advice.

Yamaha has a video on basic techniques: How to make Paper Craft Models - | Paper Crafts(Origami) - Entertainment | YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.

Digital Navy has a page of tips for building ship models that apply to other models as well: Paper Modeling Tips | Digitalnavy.com

Somewhere in this forum there are (or used to be) several tutorials put together by Golden Bear, Dansls1, and others that showed basic skills, like cutting out parts. I can't find them now, but perhaps one of the Admins can tell us where they are. Meanwhile, here is a list of post on tips and techniques: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/a....php/f-10.html

Mike Bauer (who should be weighing in soon) put together a page of illustrated paper modeling techniques. It is usually accessible from this page: Main Page by clicking on "Hints and Tips," but the page currently won't load for me.

Chris Gutzmer and his team of ECardmodels have a great site with a large number of models, some free, some suitable for beginners: Ecardmodels.com

Scott Fyn runs Fiddlers Green, another site friendly to beginners (and old pros): http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

The most important thing is to start in, preferably with a simple model, and to keep trying. Keep checking in on this forum, especially when someone asks a question like yours (How do I . . .?) that will lots of good advice. And don't get discouraged. Paper modeling is a matter of hand skills that improve with practice.

Don
Google Adsense

Tags
begin, class, important, models, paper, model