PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Vermin_King: `An expertly-built ship model`. Oh-o.

This is a little bit what I was afraid of when I opened my mouth here. Of course, as a result of my former profession I know how to build a ship model. But please don't see me as an expert in what I am showing you here. In fact this is totally different from what I was used to do. I always built my models not for the end result, but for getting a better understanding of constructions and methods of shipbuilding. For me model building was only a method of research.
That means that all the parts of my models were down-scaled equivalents of the actual ship-parts. That my sound daunting to some of you, but in fact it solved a mass of problems I am encountering now. I never had to think about how my product could be given a wood-look, because it really existed of wood. Never had to imitate nails or dowels, because they were actually there. Never had to think about making lines on decks to imitate the planking, because the planking was formed by planks, attached in the same way it was done in actual ships.
So what I am doing now is starting all over again and I am learning a lot from many of the posts on this forum. That's why I have been studying many of the threads here over the last few years.
And apart from that: I like making paper kits, because `I like it when a plan comes together`. Complicated parts that fit snugly where they should be, have a very reassuring effect on my brain. Like: everything has been taken care of, all is planned and planned well, so take it easy.... Much different from what I do myself when building a model.

So please consider me as the amateur I really am. I know a lot about old ships, but that does not necessarily mean that I make fantastic models. I wish I did!
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-afb.iii.2-16.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-scan.2-medium-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-zeehaan-3.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 10:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
OK, that's fair. How about Amateur Who is Highly Qualified in the Same, Only Different, Field?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Haha, That's sort of a Terry Pritchard way to put it.
I agree.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
you have done such great work on ships

that you will probably have to put up with a little hero worship here

but we'll all try to not get carried away and focus on the models... which we all love regardless of the "skill level" of the builder
Old 02-06-2016, 04:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
[QUOTE=abhovi; `An expertly-built ship model`. Oh-o.

So please consider me as the amateur I really am. I know a lot about old ships, but that does not necessarily mean that I make fantastic models. I wish I did![/QUOTE]

Your ship models are superb - some amateur (but then, an amateur is one who loves their work, so I guess that includes all of us....)
I wish I could do half as well as you
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2016, 05:08 AM

I finished the pinas today. That is... when is a model finished? I can think of a dozen things I would like to add, but other projects impatiently wait to be started.
Apart from some minor additions I leave it as it is, since this was only an experiment. All and all I can say that the result is a reasonable model, of which one might wonder why it was executed in paper. Or it must be the speed of working one would never manage if building in wood: Building the hull took me less than a month, which would have taken three times as much if it would have been wood. And I did lose a lot of time searching for the right materials.
So next in line will be a Dutch fluit after a drawing Nicolaes Witsen made in his 1671 book about shipbuilding in Holland.
Hope to see you there again...
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01679-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01683-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01677-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01678-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01680-small-.jpg  

Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01681-small-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01682-small-.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Beautiful!!!
Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Not bad for an experiment.
Real nice detail with the sails and rigging. BZ
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.32 MB
Beautiful, indeed!
And I am MOSTLY interested in you next ship- the Fluyt. A couple of months ago a friend gave my a nearly finished DERFFLINGER as a gift, unfortunately some parts are missing on this wooden ship in app. 1/60. I studied the books from Hoeckel etc. ("blue books from Hinstorff") - but still some information are missing, expecially the Sails, "running goods" etc. Even the yards are missing. So it will be a pleasure to look at your report!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
yes, yes, interested!
Google Adsense

Tags
building, ships, thought, dutch, life, made, couple, years, hope, mentioned, level, people, tons, comparable, wider, drawings, time, ago, touch, are…, ship, techniques, meters, long, waters