PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Wow! Wow! Wow!
The forum requires me to use at least 10 characters per message. No problem to say Wow three times.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Outstanding work. Take it from a true amateur
Old 02-11-2016, 02:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Thank you all very well for your interest and your kind words, which is more than I deserve. I think the comments on this forum are highly stimulating.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hello Ab,

We had some e-mail contact some weeks ago, hope you remember
I started to read all your posts in detail now and I must say you are much to modest when you say you are an amateur. Your models look really awesome. I tried building a "historical" model ones, but it turned out as a real disaster. Building historical models is very different form the models I have build so far (Imperial Japanese Navy Ships). With my Japanese ships, I have a years long experience in how these ships were build and all the detailing of them. That is the same with building historical ship, first you have to know all the building details and techniques used in these days of these ship, which you do from your days working as a conservator in museums. Translating these skills into modelling is in this way a lot easier, despite you now have changed your material to "mainly" paper.
I think it will take a while, if ever, before I start a historical ship (I am not getting any younger). It would take a long time to make myself aquinted with the building techniques of these ships. In the meantime I will enjoy your builds very much !!

John.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
another update

Now that I started bringing old threads to life (see A 160-feet VOC-vessel, or…) I might just as well post my latest pinas here. This ship accompanied me most years of my life: I started working on the drawings in the early 80s and built a 1/50 model for the Northers Shipping Museum in Groningen. A second one was produced for 'home-use', but was sold a few years later to a private person. The third was my first paper build, back in 2016, described in this thread and recently donated to the Archaeological Museum 'Huis van Hilde' in Castricum, Holland. The fourth was a 3D reconstruction, with help from my Belgium partner-in-crime Rene Hendrickx, and can be seen here: Witsen Scheepsbouw. The fifth was recently built in two months time (August and September) due to the lousy summer we experienced here. My son made pictures which I show you here.
I built this model again because I missed it in my house, but I will probably lose this one too, because another museum has shown interest, to be used together with another three of my models.
I hope you enjoy these pictures:

Dutch pinas 1671-img_6571.jpg Dutch pinas 1671-img_6581.jpg Dutch pinas 1671-img_6588.jpg Dutch pinas 1671-img_6598.jpg
Dutch pinas 1671-img_6606.jpg Dutch pinas 1671-img_6661.jpg
Dutch pinas 1671-img_6664.jpg Dutch pinas 1671-img_6667.jpg
Dutch pinas 1671-img_6676.jpg Dutch pinas 1671-img_6678.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2021, 09:43 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Another highly detailed beauty.
Always great photos.
Mike

p.s. After reading Radek's story about red gunports, I find myself watching for them.
I see this Dutch pinas also has them.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Always a joy to see your work, sir.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Outstanding and crewmen bring it to live in a very nice manner. Lucky the museum that get this one to exhibit.

BR Tappi

Tags
building, ships, thought, dutch, life, made, couple, years, hope, mentioned, level, people, tons, comparable, wider, drawings, time, ago, touch, are…, ship, techniques, meters, long, waters