PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-31-2016, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Dutch pinas 1671

Hi,
I'm relatively new here. I am reading these pages for a couple of years and gave some useless comments but never posted a thread. For a couple of reasons. First of all I' m not so good that I think anyone could learn something from my adventures and secondly because I am a lousy photographer.

Nevertheless I want to share some recent experiences with you. I have made cardboard models for most of my life and found great reassurance in them especially if all parts fitted. I still am a fan of most Polish kit producers. Then I saw the threads by Doris, Tatasam, Firdajan2 and many others building ships. Modelships have been my profession most of my life so I thought I could give it a try using drawings I made years ago (see Ojos. Total Visual Communications Solution).
I know I will never even touch the level of the people I mentioned above but I still thought maybe someone would like what I am doing, so here we are…

The ship I am building is a typical Dutch merchant vessel from the 17th century. It was 134 feet long (about 38 meters), had 24 guns, a crew of about a hundred men and loaded about 400 tons. It was used both in European waters and transatlantic and the Eastindian Company used comparable (but wider) ships.

Next time I hope to tell some more about the techniques I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01533-large-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01538-medium-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01572-medium-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01569-medium-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01573-medium-.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 46.13 MB
Thumbs up

Ab,
Thanks for posting your thread !

Firstly I want to congratulate you on the splendid models in the Rijksmuseum, I've spent many hours looking at them (usually alone because the missus wanders off to other parts of the museum) and enjoyed them immensely.

Secondly : I presume you design and build the model from your drawings; only there very best can do that.

Can you please show us some of your techniques ? From drawing to model ? I think we can learn a lot from you !

BTW: your pictures are ok !
Old 01-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Wonderful. I am no good at ships and my ships come out looking like ship wrecks.

Good luck with this project. I'd like to see more of your work
Old 01-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Same here, please post more of your work and how you do it. There's also nothing wrong with your pics. Please post more.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
Unhappy

Well thank you Longbow, Vermin_King and elliott for your appreciated reactions. They were unexpected and therefore even more welcome.

As I said, this is an experimental project for me, never having built a paper ship from scratch before. As a result of that I did a lot of unnecessary or even totally wrong things this time. The ship is almost finished now and it will not be possible to make a full report of the building process any more, because I forgot to take pictures. But I did some more tests with other models (I always do many things at the same time, so I won't have to wait for drying and setting of glue or paint) and I caught up a bit.

As an example: Here is a model I made last month after an 18th century draught by a man called Charles Bentam, an Englishman who was master shipbuilder at the Amsterdam admiralty shipyard from 1735 to 1756. He designed some new East Indian Company ships as well in 1742. The model took no more than 3 weeks to make. But don't get me wrong: a hull is a nice start, but the devil is in the details. I think it will take at least three month to finish and rig the thing (which will probably never happen). Scale 1 : 77, length 55 centimeters.

Another test was an early Dutch boyer. Just to see if the same proces with cardboard frames works as well on a smaller scale. It does.

Back to the pinas. The start was so traditional that it is useless to explain. Doris and our other Eastern-European friends did that far better than I ever can. This is how far I have progressed. The rigging is almost done. There remains a lot of work on lanterns, flags and anchors, but that is peanuts compared to the rigging. It will take me a week at last.
What I did wrong: I used a sort of plaster that is used in the painting conservation-business. It is water-based. Wrong. Better take polyester filler. It won't distort your work like it did mine.
I sprayed the model after it was closed with gesso. OK, but if you do, do it in very thin layers, because it is water-based as well.

It took me a long time to find a solution for the outer planking. Doris used strips of self-adhesive plastic foil and that is a good idea, but I could not find a type that satisfied me. It all looked too much like plastic to me. In the end I bought a white foil with wood-print (very cheap at a construction store), applied it and painted it yellow ochre (Humbrol 63). After at least three days of drying I covered the paint with a very dark paint called Van Dijks Bruin (Rembrandt Paints). You really have to brush it in, to reach all places. Immediately after that I removed most of the paint with a rag, so that the dark color remained in the wood-structure of the plastic foil. I liked the result.

Next time more. First finish this model.
I think I will do a report on a project I plan, building a fluit, a 17th century merchant vessel, if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01635-medium-.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-schermafbeelding-2015-12-09-om-13.20.17.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-schermafbeelding-2015-12-09-om-13.20.45.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01640.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-dsc01643.jpg  

Dutch pinas 1671-schermafbeelding-2016-02-01-om-10.27.03.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-schermafbeelding-2016-02-01-om-10.27.53.jpg   Dutch pinas 1671-schermafbeelding-2016-02-01-om-10.28.24.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-01-2016, 05:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I'm very interested. Would love to see a model of yours taken from design to completion.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Definitely interested
Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
I'll third that. Definitely interested.

Fred
Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.47 MB
great to see your post

i have several of your books and have especially enjoyed the one with the different examples of dutch merchant ships

i hope to build some large scale paper models of them soon

ken tyler
Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 67.09 MB
Great work. This was especially interesting since I am on the crew of the Kalmar Nyckel, a recreation of the Dutch built pinas that brought the first Swedish expedition to the Americas in 1638.
Definitely interested in seeing your fluit under construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Dutch pinas 1671-off-coast-near-provincetown-ma-2.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
building, ships, thought, dutch, life, made, couple, years, hope, mentioned, level, people, tons, comparable, wider, drawings, time, ago, touch, are…, ship, techniques, meters, long, waters