PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-17-2016, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Hello to all!

My name is George, (the Wideride nickname was given to me during my racing days) I live in New Albany, Indiana; right across the Ohio River from Louisville, Ky. Living in an area full of historic homes and buildings, I've always wanted to model a bunch of 'em. Tried in the 80's when I had to hand draw everything on the drafting table and hand paint them. Found out I wasn't much of an artist.
A few years back I ran across this site and it peaked my interest in giving card modeling another try. I'm glad I did! Lurking around here, I've learned so much in a short time. Seemed that I should get on here and thank everyone who has posted the hints, tricks, tips and how-to's I've read over the past several years!
Though I am interested mainly in architectural/railroad modeling, I am amazed at the array of fantastic cars, ships, planes and fantasy models you people have built. I just hope to be .0005% as good as you all some day!
- George
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2016, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum

Tim
Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hey George!
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to finally meet you.
Have you made any models yet? If you have we'd love to see some pics. I see you've read the Tips & Tricks subforum, have you looked through First Cuts - A Lounge? If not it's also full of good information.
We're glad you're here.
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Welcome aboard!
Old 07-17-2016, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
Welcome George!
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.32 MB
Welcome to the forum George!
Support us on Patreon
Old 07-18-2016, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your railroad models!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 AM

Glad to be here!

Thank You all for the welcome. I feel I know some of you already from reading posts over the years.
Yes, Elliott, I have built some models already. I started with a few freebies, bought a few, then started teaching myself (with the help of the forums) how to use Gimp, Inkscape and my publisher program to create models of the local buildings. As soon as I can post some pics, I will gladly do so. I've been having a blast doing this! I've wasted a lot of cardstock and paper though the process, but I like the challenge of learning this great hobby. Much more fun (to me) than the plastic stuff I felt stuck with years ago. Much easier to fix a mistake or change the look of a model when all you have to do is print and cut!
Joshuajaeseo, most of what I've been doing has been commercial buildings and homes from here in the area (Metro Louisville, or as us old timers call it-Kentuckyana). I have started trying to design the Cincinnati Car company trolleys used around here and doing research on the motive power and rolling stock used on the "Dinky Line". The first thing my wife wants me to replicate is one of the old funeral hearse trolleys! Who would have guessed that! Powering them will be another issue, but we'll cross that railroad bridge when we get to it.
Again, thank you all, for the welcome and the help you've already provided to me. I hope that maybe I can give a little something back in the very near future.
Before I go back to work, Beckychestney- the wife loves your Disney set up. I also wanted to say hey to a neighbor!

Have a great day everyone! - George
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.60 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideride View Post
Thank You all for the welcome. I feel I know some of you already from reading posts over the years.
Yes, Elliott, I have built some models already. I started with a few freebies, bought a few, then started teaching myself (with the help of the forums) how to use Gimp, Inkscape and my publisher program to create models of the local buildings. As soon as I can post some pics, I will gladly do so. I've been having a blast doing this! I've wasted a lot of cardstock and paper though the process, but I like the challenge of learning this great hobby. Much more fun (to me) than the plastic stuff I felt stuck with years ago. Much easier to fix a mistake or change the look of a model when all you have to do is print and cut!
Joshuajaeseo, most of what I've been doing has been commercial buildings and homes from here in the area (Metro Louisville, or as us old timers call it-Kentuckyana). I have started trying to design the Cincinnati Car company trolleys used around here and doing research on the motive power and rolling stock used on the "Dinky Line". The first thing my wife wants me to replicate is one of the old funeral hearse trolleys! Who would have guessed that! Powering them will be another issue, but we'll cross that railroad bridge when we get to it.
Again, thank you all, for the welcome and the help you've already provided to me. I hope that maybe I can give a little something back in the very near future.
Before I go back to work, Beckychestney- the wife loves your Disney set up. I also wanted to say hey to a neighbor!

Have a great day everyone! - George
Ooh Cincinnati trolleys! Im from Cincinnati!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 AM

Another Neigbor!

If I'd been more on the ball this morning I would have seen that you are from Ohio.
I'm eventually planning on modeling this area around the 1895-1910 period. Many of the large railroads operated through here and so did some very colorful local companies. Doing online and library research, I found out that the local traction company used mostly Cinci equipment. In fact, they used a lot of that same equipment right up to 1947. They served not only New Albany, but Louisville, Jeffersonville and many smaller communities around here.
If you haven't noticed, I really enjoy diving into the history! By modeling things of the past, I feel I can pass some of that along to the kids and grandkids and have a good time doing it!
Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a good representative model that will make Cincinnati crowd happy.
Have a great day! - George
Google Adsense