PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-27-2016, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Howdy to Paper Modelers!

Just joined the site, and hope to acquaint myself with some of you shortly.

I am primarily a plastic modeler, of model railroad structures, space vehicles, and the occasional plane and auto, but I enjoy all phases of the modeling hobby, the best one in the world IMHO.

Recently, I re-stumbled onto the world of paper modelling, and realized 1/ how cool it was and 2/ I had some brief experience with it back in the day.

So just this week I bought some vintage Maly Modelerz tank kits on ebay, and when they arrive I will try one on for size.

Looking around this site, I realize that there is a whole world of new kits and designs and plans and builders out there. My skill set is nothing compared to some of the photo galleries I see here, but I do what I can do. I am impressed at the range of subject matter available in the hobby, and also how the pro-level modeller can get a model to look like it was NOT made out of paper. I guess that's the "art" of it.

At any rate, I still have one of my old "Builders Plus" HO structures which I made about 30 years ago, so when I get photo upload rights, I'll post pictures of it. It's a simple kit (and a terrible build) but it's really the only proof I have that I did indeed, build paper models. Now we'll see with the Maly tank models if my skill level has improved any. As they say, "Ya gotta start somewhere!"

I have a question for anyone who has an interest in trains. Was it my imagination, or were there paper models of locomotives produced in the 1960s? I feel like I was aware of them, and possibly even built one or two, but it is a very foggy memory. Although I am sure there were many steam engine kits, my primary interest then (and now) was in diesel & electric power, and I vaguely recall paper models of things like the EMD F-9 and E-9 diesels, and maybe the Pennsy GG-1 diesel-electric? Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks for adding me - I hope I can be a constructive part of this community.

Rob
paperboy2000
Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Rob:
Go through the tips and tricks section first before cutting a pre-printed model Scanning it first will provide backup. Ask Questions also there are paper locos out there some in the download section here.
Enjoy, Welcome,
Miles
Old 10-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hiya Rob! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining. One other place you should explore is the First Cuts - A Lounge subforum. Consider it a refresher course if you will. Hope the hobby is everything you expect. We're glad you're here. Welcome aboard!
Old 10-28-2016, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome, Rob.
Don't forget to check out he Links tab at the upper right. You will find some websites with railroad related models.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:23 AM

Trams!

Thanks for the nudge to the downloads section - that collection of Trams is incredible, right up my alley, definitely going to be one of my first projects. Excellent site!
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2016, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Welcome Aboard Rob!
I built a few cardstock structures 'back in the day'. You will find it much easier with the computer and a printer! I remember putting together some cardstock N scale F units in the late '70's or early '80's. They fit over the old Tyco frames. Have no idea were I got them though, and sadly, they are long gone. Also, I've slept once or twice since then! Anyway, I know you will enjoy it here. George
Old 10-28-2016, 12:26 PM

N scale paper locos

I vaguely recall some HO scale paper locomotives, but it is a memory I cannot confidently retrieve. That must have been fun, to make the "shells:" and mount them on your motorized chassis. I also recall bigger paper locomotive models (probably O scale) with some great road-names depicted.

I found a couple more unbuilt old "Builders Plus" HO/OO cardstock structures in the basement last night, might have a whack at them while I am waiting for the Maly tanks to arrive.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Welcome! I, too, returned to paper modeling after a long absence. Enjoying it more than ever now. Look forward to seeing your builds!