PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 11-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Hello, again, Mr. Book. For the Cosmostator, you should contact Diederek. He's very generous and would probably be willing to share his files with you.

[email protected]

The ABC magazine on Verne comes up from time to time at reasonable prices, you just have to be patient. I found one a few years back for $10.

I agree with airdave, the Egyptian paper models are unlikely, if not impossible. The earliest paper model I know of is this one from Germany dating from the 1500s.
Attached Thumbnails
working on essay on Cardmodeling...-sonnenuhr_kruzifix.jpg  
Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 321.94 MB
Thanks tom and Dave.

That's pretty much in line with the histories I've been seeing which is why I questioned one of my childhood tropes. Does anyone else remember that quote? I know lots of you drooled over the old Hathaway catalogs as much as I did, lol.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:01 PM

Here's another question:

Most of the models i'm seeing are "metric" - i.e., on A4 paper. I know my brother hasn't been able to find it locally. Can anyone suggest a good source for A4 cardstock? If I'm going to be introducing a lot of people to the world of cardmodeling, it would probably help if I could either link to a provider or give them a snail mail address.

Thanks, everyone! I've found a lot of new stuff, thanks to all your help!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
A4 is usually only an issue if you are wanting to maintain scale. When you pull up an A4 file and go to print, most printers will give you a preview, so you can see if you are going to have anything cut off. If it is going to cut off something, you can generally adjust the printer scaling so that it will fit. If you use Fit-to-Page, occasionally it will not scale the same in both directions (but not that often in my experience)
Old 11-29-2016, 05:22 PM

I've always liked "let them worry about it" as an answer. Thanks, king!
Google Adsense
Old 11-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Find a source of Legal (8.5 x 14) size cardstock. You can trim that to A4 size or just send it through the printer without trimming and tell the printer it is A4.

Sometimes when printing from a pdf using Adobe Reader you can use the camera icon to select just the parts then choose Print Selected Graphic in the print dialog. In many cases the selected area will be centered on the page and will fall within the printable area for your printer. Make sure you check the print preview window.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Make sure you check the print preview window.
Always do that, and if it is a multi-page pdf, check each page
Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 AM

Thanks. Of course the big problem here is that all I'll have room for is just enough to get everyone's toes wet. It would help if I could steer them to some basic modeling hints. Is there a beginning modelers section/forum here? Or does anyone have a beginners page posted that I can link to? There are a lot of basic tips that anyone trying to build a first model could use (although none more important than work slowly, study the model before trying to assemble it, and KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN, lol).

I know I was fortunate enough that my dad was into cardmodeling and introduced his boys to it (remember those 4 x 6 sized Schrieber models Hathaway used to give away for beginners?)
Old 11-30-2016, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
There is a Tips and Tricks section on the forum here. It has many threads with some very helpful information.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:46 AM

I suggest to newbies to do two types of models to begin with. Models will either be rectilinear, like buildings, or organic, like aircraft, ships, and of course, animals.

Figure out how paper acts by doing some of the Canon one-page animals and some of the simple buildings that are all over the net. After they feel comfortable, they should probably do a few cars, because they deal with some of the moderately advanced things.

Animals - Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~stork/retr...apercraft.html
Koolwheelz Paper Models
Google Adsense