PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 85.28 MB
Hello from Maine

Hi,
I joined back in 2014 but this is my 1st post. I retired 2 years ago after 34 years as a mechanical engineer at a shipyard in Bath Maine. Prior to that,I sailed as 3rd Engineer on various oil tankers for Gulf Oil.

I dabbled in paper models back in college (Maine Maritime Academy) in the 70s. I built a freighter and a tug that I bought through Sea Classics magazine (back before the internet). I also built 2 from scratch, one of the Maine Maritime Academy training ship (the former troop transport USNS Upshur) and one of the oil tanker SS Gulfpride.

I am now getting back into the hobby and this forum has been a wealth of information. Based on the posts I've read I've purchased a self healing cutting mat and a set of Exacto-like hobby knives. I have ordered some Fiskars Microtip scissors, an assortment of tweezers.

I'm starting out with a model of the crab boat Cornelia Marie that I downloaded for free a year or so ago. After I get a few simpler card models under belt to refine my skills, I want to build some of the ships built by Bath Iron Works including some of those that I worked on including the FFG 7 Oliver Hazard Perry class, CG 47 Ticonderoga class, DDG 51 Arleigh Burke class and the DDG 1000 Zumwalt class. I also want to do another scratch built model of the MMA training ship.

I look forward to relying on this forum for advice and will share my progress.

Randy
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Well hello, and welcome. As you've been to the site for awhile so you know what's available here. Yup, start with the free downloads and practice. You mess it up, no big deal. Print another.
Ahh, the Bath boat works. Been past there several times. Whenever I'd go to L L Bean I'd drive up and look around, as best I could. Amazing.
Well, have fun. Remember, it's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hi Randy! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining back when and for making your first post today. Also thank you for your service to the nation. You know already that we have a great group of ship modelers here. Sounds like you'll fit right in. Looking forward to your posts. We're glad you're here. Welcome aboard!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtankerman View Post
Hi,
I joined back in 2014 but this is my 1st post. I retired 2 years ago after 34 years as a mechanical engineer at a shipyard in Bath Maine. Prior to that,I sailed as 3rd Engineer on various oil tankers for Gulf Oil.

I dabbled in paper models back in college (Maine Maritime Academy) in the 70s. I built a freighter and a tug that I bought through Sea Classics magazine (back before the internet). I also built 2 from scratch, one of the Maine Maritime Academy training ship (the former troop transport USNS Upshur) and one of the oil tanker SS Gulfpride.

I am now getting back into the hobby and this forum has been a wealth of information. Based on the posts I've read I've purchased a self healing cutting mat and a set of Exacto-like hobby knives. I have ordered some Fiskars Microtip scissors, an assortment of tweezers.

I'm starting out with a model of the crab boat Cornelia Marie that I downloaded for free a year or so ago. After I get a few simpler card models under belt to refine my skills, I want to build some of the ships built by Bath Iron Works including some of those that I worked on including the FFG 7 Oliver Hazard Perry class, CG 47 Ticonderoga class, DDG 51 Arleigh Burke class and the DDG 1000 Zumwalt class. I also want to do another scratch built model of the MMA training ship.

I look forward to relying on this forum for advice and will share my progress.

Randy
yeah another ship builder.welcome.if you are for a challenge can i suggest hmv superb model of uss ticonderoga there is a zumwalt class ship at ecardmodels
Old 02-14-2017, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 85.28 MB
Thanks all for the kind responses. I can already see this is going to be a great hobby, especially on days like yesterday we got hit with a foot of snow.

Has anyone come across a card model of a WW2 era T-2 Tanker? I sailed on 3 for Gulf Oil and would like to try modifying a model to reflect one of those as it appeared when I sailed on it.

Randy
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2017, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Randy,
Welcome aboard. I'm a Mainer too and like you said, this is a great hobby especially when we're snowed in!
Phil