PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 78.31 MB
For a Paper Beginner

Been a plastic modeler off and on. Would like to take a crack at paper and card. Architecture, armor, ships and aircraft mostly and not necessarily in that order. Is there a definitive instruction manual or series I should be looking at to get started either on this site or elsewhere?
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Hey BB,

Welcome to the site, many of us are plastic converts, some still even do that.

As for an instruction manual, or series, not so much.

One of the best places to start reading would be the Tips & Tricks sub forum, additionally you can check out First Cuts: A Lounge, many a rook or newb have posted there their questions, and by all means ask your questions.

Enjoy yourself

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
One of the big things you need to remember is that paper forms the skin of your model. I think of models as either being rectilinear (buildings and some vehicles) or organic (animals, aircraft, boats, etc).

I don't think most people have difficulty with buildings, depending on detail, except with keeping the walls from warping.

Organic involves curving surfaces. I think the best practice for this type is the Canon one-page animals. They give good practice and even if you mess up, they are cute and will brighten someone's day. You can find them at Animals - Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear BB:
First start with a scale cube several buried in Toys in our download section One page one part model they have to be scored and cut accurately to look good screw up print another.
Having said that I will say go to the canon paper model site. All types of models but more importantly good instructions to each model.

Canon Creative Park Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park

Hope the link works
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 03-13-2017, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Check out Welcome to cardfaq.org
Google Adsense
Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Maybe the best advice might be experience through trial and error making use of the "cheapness" of the range of wonderfully designed, free models here and elsewhere. Feel free to build until you've learned works and what doesn't. Then crumple/fold/spindle/mutilate and move on to the next model.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear BB:
First start with a scale cube several buried in Toys in our download section One page one part model they have to be scored and cut accurately to look good screw up print another.
Having said that I will say go to the canon paper model site. All types of models but more importantly good instructions to each model.

Canon Creative Park Paper Craft - Canon Creative Park

Hope the link works
Enjoy,
Miles
yup canon cover most of the subjects mentioned and their instructions are clear for beginners.plus of course they are free to practise on
Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.21 MB
Don't be afraid to experiment with glues (Elmer's, Aileen's.) Both have formulations that dry clear. Check out You Tube. It always has something of interest. I came to paper from plastic and I love the minimal amount of paraphernalia paper requires.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Card Modeling FAQ is an old resource but may be able to answer many of your questions.
It could be considered as a kind of instruction manual:
Card Modeling FAQ
Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Welcome to the forum!

Best to find a model you're interested in and start building. After a few tries you will find a technique that works.

Another thing will be tools: I use scissors for any curved cuts, a rotary cutter for long straight lines, and a hobby knife (X-acto type) for inside the part cuts.

Different ways to apply glue: Tooth picks, Q-tips, small brushes, etc., I found a dentist syringe used for teeth flushing that has a curved tip to be my favorite way of applying glue.

Tools for creating a crease in the paper/cardstock for precise bending/folding: Artist stylus, or embosser. Some use sewing tools, a dulled hobby knife blade even the back side of a kitchen butter knife can work.

Find a good straight edge to use as a guide for cutting with a knife, also used when "scoring" fold lines for bending.

Be cautious with glue, too much can warp the paper, take longer to dry, cause finger prints all over the model from excess glue getting on your fingers.

It is important to visualize the parts, and then using this vision, preform the parts before gluing. For instance a paper tube or cone needs pre-rolled so that the gluing is easier.

Pre-forming is a very important part of making paper models!

As time passes you will find yourself looking at common items in a new way, maybe to form a particular part, some common item around the house will help with. You'll start collecting different paper types. Different glues, and tools.

Paper modeling for the most part is inexpensive and fun! Knowing that the finished product started out as a flat sheet with some ink on it!

Good luck with your first models! Hope you have as much fun as the rest of us, as you expand your skills and knowledge of how to create paper 3-D art!

Mike
Google Adsense