PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Goodday

Hello,
Thanks you for accepting me into the group.
I'm a very, very, slow railway modeller about to embark upon some railway buildings and some card rolling stock. Older than many, I remember a time when card and paper were practically all that was on offer and folk used then to do amazing things with it: it's nice to see that continued by today's modellers.
I also have a fancy to build a small ship for a small scale railway - a dock scene, and would appreciate a pointer to plans of a suitable (meaning small) coaster for this.
In the meantime, I look forward to exploring the site.
CliffH
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2017, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome, Cliff. There are a number of dock dioramas presented on the forums here.

What type of ship are you looking to build?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Have you seen
product-news - Scalescenes
including
Townscenes - Scalescenes
T030 Cargo Ship - Scalescenes
T030b Clyde Puffer - Scalescenes
T030a Fishing Boat - Scalescenes
etc.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Hello and welcome aboard! Doesn't matter if your a brand new modeler or one that's , well, umm, been around the block, doesn't matter. As long as you enjoy building out of paper, that's all that matters.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hi there Cliff! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining. Couple of subforums you might want to start off exploring would be the First Cuts - A Lounge and the Tips & Tricks subfora. They'll put you well down the road toward proficiency and enjoyment of the hobby. What scale are you building in? We're glad you're here. Welcome aboard!
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2017, 05:20 AM

Thank you all for your warm and helpful welcomes. Sorry for radio silence.
I've now downloaded the Clyde Puffer and fishing boat from Scalescenes, Maurice, for which thanks.
The kind of ship I was thinking of, Vermin King, is a small coaster that would have been common in the thirties - I think they're called short sea coasters. So, a bit larger than a Clyde Puffer at about 100 - 120' long (so about 400 - 480 mm in my adopted scale)
I've acquired a book: "Steam Coasters and Short Sea Traders" by C V Waine and R S Fenton, which is a wonderful book. It is perhaps now a matter of me getting my head around translating to three dimensions. Don't watch this space, though - I'm very slow!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Welcome to the site.
Here is a Japanese site with a coastal freighter.
Coastal Freighter
Below the pictures is the link to the download page which looks something like this: ダウンロード. The model is 1:200 scale and consists of 4 pages of parts and 1 page graphic instructions in .jpg format. A note on the download page says the pages should be at 600 dpi.

Check the size when you download. The .jpg files saved at 94dpi on my machine so when I opened them in a graphics program the dimensions were very large instead of A4 size. I changed the dpi to 600 and the percent to 100 and that brought the page size down to match A4 size. You can rescale the pages to fit what ever scale you need to for your dioramas.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 AM

Thanks, Doug, looks great!
Cliff