PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Thumbs up What a great place this is!!!

I have been a member for about 2 months and this group is just wonderful!! Everyone has bent over backwards being nice and patient with some of my dumb newbie questions and mistakes. I mentioned in a post that there was an error in a kit and asked how to fix it myself. Within a few hours the Robert one of the moderators had contacted the designer, Nobi and in about two days the model was corrected. And it is a FREE model!!

Before starting paper models I did plastic modelling for years. Some of the plastic kit forums are just ridiculous with "rivet counters" and some of the threads are filled with vitriol and rude posts. Not here.

This site and this hobby has helped me so much to enjoy my retirement. My biggest problem in life right now is where do I put them all!

A giant Thanks to all
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
My biggest problem in life right now is where do I put them all!
You ain't the first, and won't be the last to find that problem Micheal.

My answer is to shrink them all as far as possible. It makes them a damn site harder to build, but it increases the satisfaction value if you succeed.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Yes, this is a great site with nice people who will give you an honest opinion about what you've built. If you make a mistake on one, they point it out and offer suggestions about how to improve your build. And unlike the plastic sites, they don't compare you to horse droppings for mistakes, they also won't heap glowing praises or go "Oooh, Aaaaaaaaaah" for "glue bombs" either.

Last edited by at6; 02-09-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Other then the fantastic forum is the people on this forum who make it up. There is such a wealth of smarts here that most problems you might have can be small ones. This forum is second to none, even with Big Dave Super Duper. He's a really great guy but don't tell him I said that. wc
Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Yes indeed, this forum has to be one of the best, if not THE BEST in regards to paper modeling. I too have found nothing but friendly helpful people here.

Theres another thing about plastic models now, the price!!!!
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
My biggest problem in life right now is where do I put them all!
Whenever I run out of display space and need a clearout I generally put a bunch of models in a box and take them to my local hospice charity shop. They don't earn a fortune from them but every little helps, as they say. I know of other people who donate their models to their local school or library for use as teaching aids or just plain decoration.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Whenever I run out of display space and need a clearout I generally put a bunch of models in a box and take them to my local hospice charity shop. They don't earn a fortune from them but every little helps, as they say. I know of other people who donate their models to their local school or library for use as teaching aids or just plain decoration.
Yes my wife donates to battered women shelters withn her crochet and knitting. I have already sent them a few of my earliest endeavours. I'm sure the little boys won't even notice the mismatched seams and the water spots.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Michael,

We are very happy to have you here. Your enthusiasm is infectious and it's great to watch as your skills improve with every model you build. And I like the idea of donating built models to charity shops. I think I may start doing just that.

Curt
Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 AM

I have to revive this thread to reiterate how great everyone on this forum is. A few years back I was in a plastic modeling club but left because of all the BS. There were guys that were so competitive about getting awards at model shows it was just absurd. You could ask an "expert" about a particular technique and I swear to Gawd he purposely would give you the wrong info!

Not so here. EVERYONE is so helpful and friendly. Anything I ask is usually answred within a few hours. I have learned SO much about this craft from youse guys. I really enjoy the engineering aspect of this hobby. It really is much like building the real thing. I had no idea of the things that can be done with plain old paper!

Don' B. and some of the other guy's posts lead me to things I never knew enough about to even search for! I was telling my wife about the foprum the other day and she is so glad I found this place. I was really having a bad time with those plastic model jackasses.

Now back to mangling some paper!!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Michael, you're rapidly becoming a great paper mangler. As a matter of fact you mangle paper real good.
Google Adsense