PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.80 MB
First post and already a problem!

Hello,

I have been a plastic modeller since about age 10 which is to say ~45 years. I have been very impressed by some card models I've seen at model shows and on line and wanted to try.

I'm Scottish but live in Halifax in West Yorkshire, England.

Last night I started the JSC Sea Wraith Frigate which seemed like a good first model but already I mucked up! I have ordered another one and am relieved how cheap a model this is! I'll post a build thread about my troubles.

Thanks,

Alan
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2018, 08:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Alan,

And welcome to your first lesson in paper modeling. If at first you don't suceed --- print another one out!!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Welcome. I am sorry you ran into problems. When order a pre-printed kit, I would recommend scanning it into your computer so that you can print off a new part when problems arise.

Paper handles a bit different than other media, but with your experience in model building, there should be no issues that you cannot overcome
Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Welcome. I am sorry you ran into problems. When order a pre-printed kit, I would recommend scanning it into your computer so that you can print off a new part when problems arise.

Paper handles a bit different than other media, but with your experience in model building, there should be no issues that you cannot overcome
yup rule number one in papermodeling.And dont knock yourself out.Have been doing jsc models for years.That is not the easiest one to start on because of the size.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I say cut your teeth on digital kits.
Not only are they cheaper from the start, but you can reprint parts easily.

Scanning is a good idea if you have a good scanner and the skills to make good scans.
Understanding DPI and colour correction are also important and necessary.
And you have to make sure parts are exactly the right size from scan to print.

But no matter how hard you try, your replacements (scanned) parts will never be printed with the correct colours and finish.
Your refitted parts might not look any better than the damaged ones!

Not to mention, scanning parts and creating usable files is time consuming and costly (for a good scanner).

There are very high quality digital kits out there, along with cheaper/simpler models.
If you ask, I bet the ship modellers here could point you to many alternative kits.
And, as I said, you have a digital file on your computer ready to reprint replacement parts.
And since you and your printer created the first batch of parts, replacement parts are most likely going to match!

Just my two cents.
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Tura View Post
Hello,

I have been a plastic modeller since about age 10 which is to say ~45 years. I have been very impressed by some card models I've seen at model shows and on line and wanted to try.

I'm Scottish but live in Halifax in West Yorkshire, England.

Last night I started the JSC Sea Wraith Frigate which seemed like a good first model but already I mucked up! I have ordered another one and am relieved how cheap a model this is! I'll post a build thread about my troubles.

Thanks,

Alan
replacement models on this price range are not an issue but when you progress to the whm models and hmv that can fetch 100 euros to buy you really do need a back up plan,i always scan any model i buy as a matter of routine in case of boob boos.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.80 MB
Thanks for those replies. I have scanned the model, in fact, thinking about using it in some distant future, maybe (!), as a pattern for a 1/700 model in plasticard but the colour matching would take up some time.

I'm happy enough to have ordered another original of the model to try some other things. I read here about matt varnishing the model before building, which I hadn't considered. I went and bought a scriber/embossing tool today and having just done a little cutting out and folding before messing up I feel like i already know an awful lot more than even 48 hours ago!

One question: I got some 3M gel glue having read about it here and I've tried out on some spare bits of card. Tell me, will it stick acrylic matt varnished card as well as it sticks plain card?

Thanks and see you at a ship build log soon, I hope,

Alan
Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
Welcome Alan,

I was born in Halifax but now live in Malaysia.
I too built plastic kits for many years, balsa gliders, real fighters in the RAF and now work as chief engineer at a flight school.
Building paper models as a hobby but they don't like the humidity here too much.
Thinking of trying soda cans, also gives me an excuse for a few beers. haha.