PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-17-2018, 03:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Paper People!

Hi Paper guys,
It has been about ten years since I've been on this site...or on many other sites as well.
My computer crashed badly years ago, and I lost all my history and stored files. I did spend about $1K to get about a third of it back; sort of.
One project I was working on was to make a model of the Matson Lines S.S. Lurline. At the time my wife Carol, worked as a docent at an estate called Filoli, in Woodside, California; it was the home of the Roth family the owners of Matson Navigation. I was going to make a model for display at the home. Unfortunately all my Matson Lurline files are gone, including the only set of plans/drawing I was able to find, so I'm starting over from scratch; so to speak. No, I didn’t have any backups.
Carol and I have left the Bay Area, and the staff and politics of the estate has changed. The Feds have kicked out most of the old people who knew Mrs. Roth, and brought in a new generation of millennial's with no sense of history, but a lot of knowledge of iPhone’s. As such, they have gotten rid of all the material relating to Matson, so they no longer want a model.

I still plan to build one though. I prefer the pre-war version, and had planned to make my model of the Lurline at the time of December 7th, 1941 when it raced back to San Francisco, with a ship load of Navy wives (including my aunt).
I also want to build a model of one of the Matson Airlines DC-4’s as well.
Hope to hear from some of you.

Regards,
Tim

Google Adsense
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Well, hello paper guy yourself (aka Hi there Tim)! Welcome back to the forum and back into the world of paper modeling. Although much has changed in 10 years much also remains the same. Sorry to hear about your computer crash and data loss as well as the subsequent loss of interest from the Roth's. Sounds like you're better off away from there. Much interest in your project though. We're glad you're back. Welcome back aboard!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Welcome, I regret your losses, it is really a pity to lose all the files and everything else that has happened to you. But to start again, with new enthusiasm, encouragement and projects. As I once read a Chinese proverb "if a problem has a solution , what to worry about and if there is no solution, what to worry about? What went away, left, to start over.