PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 06-26-2018, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello again!

Greetings all! I'm returning to the hobby after a few years break. I've been building balsa free flight airplanes and plastic ships for a while, but they require more room and smelly chemicals my wife cannot abide in the main living area. The recent successful launch of the Falcon Heavy resparked my interest in scale rockets and a new desire to watch the Chicago Cubs puts my butt in the family room most evenings, so paper modelling is back on the agenda. 2 new cats showed an annoying interest in my selection of paper rockets and airplanes stored on a shelf unit downstairs, including the devilishly difficult to finish Mars Center shuttle, so here we go again!
I always find everyone else's pictures super inspiring..so many excellent craftsmen! Paper is simultaneously very easy and very difficult to work with. So much of the art has to come from accurate knife work and resisting the temptation to glop on the glue.
I look forward to looking through the forum and hopefully sharing my own photos.
Currently building Ton Noteboom's 1/96 Gemini Titan. The capsule was the only thing that survived the feline onslought...a perfect subject to start with.
Ooh! I just found a Soyuz rocket I started and stored well away from cats! Yay!
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2018, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Jasco, here's an 'official' welcome to the forum! There are a busload of very pretty and superdetailed rockets out there, so you can have your shelves filled with them in no time. The Noteboom Gemini Titan is a nice starting point but if you want to take it a notch up, you should try Leo Cherkashyn's models, for example. I think you are aware of Alfonso's shuttle collection and his other models like the superior Falcon9 (heavy), Atlas family and Soyuz spacecraft.
Also, there's a lot of other sites where you can obtain the most detailed and beautiful models for free.
We're here to help and support each other so whatever model you intend to make, if you need advice or tips on building stuff, don't hesitate to ask. There are no stupid questions.
Have fun and... don't forget to show your models once in a while!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Hello and welcome back. I guess like many of us you too strayed away from the craft known as paper modeling. And like anyone that has strayed, you have found your way back to the fold. Get it, a paper dig, fold. For this I say, bravo!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for the welcoming committee! I had not seen Cherkashyn's site before...what stunning models! We see precious few American rockets these days, and when I was a kid, I did not know what a Russian rocket looked like.
Now the dilemma will be "Do I look at pictures of models or do I make models?"