PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.60 MB
Ahoy!

Hello All.

I've been lurking around here for quite a while.

I've been paper modelling for about ten years.

Recently, I had to go into "full production mode" as part of my job!

The natural sciences department at the university at which I am employed developed a new "general education" course called "The Science of Science Fiction" It has been a resounding success as an online class, so we are stepping up our game and creating a residency version.

Needless to say, as a bunch of professional geeks and scientists, we realized our personal collections of models and such aren't enough to provide proper visiual aids.

So, my boss authorized a budget to build what we need and papercraft was the obvious cost-effective answer! (We aren't selling any of these or anything like that- they go on display in the labs and are used to help students understand tricky stuff like orbital mechanics, free-fall, thrust gravity, and the Periodic Table of Plot Elements) We are also having special name plates printed for the 'museum" so the creators of these great models get credit where it is well deserved!

Many of you will recognize the models I have built or am building. I'm about 80 labor hours away from starting the Star Trek and Star Wars models (boss said we need one of each of the Enterprise and a good sellection of Imperial and rebel iconic craft), and I am currently building the 2001 Discovery, the Rodger Young from Starship Troopers, the Sulaco from Aliens, the Endurance from Interstellar and have 34 other real and fictional craft printed out.
I have done a number of historical real craft, built most of Mr. Ruker's stuff, quite a bit from Tektonten, Thunderchild, and a bunch of the other well known creators of this sort of content and a lot of uhu02's stuff.

I also ended up doing quite a few animals and molecules and protienes as the resident zoologist and biochemists wanted display stuff too!

I figured since you folks are so kind to host many of the patterns (I'm a builder, but not a designer), I figured I would introduce myself and give my many thanks. I have truly been enjoying this!

Attached are few pictures of my various projects. I work on three or four models at a time, as I get a bit bored spending hour after hour on the same project, hence the randomness! For some reason I am currently struggling to get photos xfered from my phone, but I'll post now and again in the approriate places!

Thanks again! Apparently my spell check is failing...
Attached Thumbnails
Ahoy!-img_3580.jpg   Ahoy!-img_3565.jpg   Ahoy!-img_3569.jpg   Ahoy!-img_3533.jpg   Ahoy!-img_3527.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining. You do good work there! Looks like we can learn from you. Please post more pics as you are able.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Welcome, that looks great, I see how Elliott, we will learn a lot by watching his models. Greetings from Argentina!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words! I admit I am a bit out of sorts with the sci-fi models. I really enjoy the real world probes and craft more. I'm slowly digging build pictures off my phone, I'll post them in the appropriate places.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Amazing stuff sludge. I envy you fella!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Sludge,

How do you sleep at night taking money for doing this?!! I am the new President of your Fan Club.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Sludge,

How do you sleep at night taking money for doing this?!! I am the new President of your Fan Club.
I WISH they were paying me for these! I spend 6-8 hours most every evening at my kitchen table (Now known as the Shipyard) pounding out models as fast as the pain of misspent youth lets me...after a solid day at work.

But, my employer paid for the cases of cardstock, glue, a few hundred of the #16 blades I prefer, and gave me unfettered access to the pro grade color printer the graphic design department keeps locked away. They also bought cardstock rolls for the large format color inkjet, but I haven't used it yet. (gotta find some truly epic models for that bad boy!)

Given what we get ripped off for for color ink/printing these days, I'm not complaining if the boss says BUILD.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Sounds like an interesting way to promote paper models and provide some educational entertainment.

This site has some models of radio telescopes:
https://www.nao.ac.jp/en/gallery/pap...telescope.html
Maybe you could build a bunch and make a large telescope array to keep in contact with those ET craft.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Sounds like an interesting way to promote paper models and provide some educational entertainment.

This site has some models of radio telescopes:
https://www.nao.ac.jp/en/gallery/pap...telescope.html
Maybe you could build a bunch and make a large telescope array to keep in contact with those ET craft.
YEAH! I have a bunch of those printed out and sitting in the "build till you bleed pile"!

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Hello and welcome. Your by no means a beginner. We can certainly learn from you. But, if you do have any questions please ask away, someone is bound to have an answer for you.
You do some amazing work!!!
Google Adsense