PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I use 65# cardstock for almost everything. 110# is good if you are building something with large flat surfaces, like an architectural model (building) with walls that might get floppy in 65# card.

For cutting, you need LOTS of #11 hobby knife blades and a handle. A small scissors is nice for separating sections from the page, but not essential. You need a self-healing cutting mat and a good metal straightedge, preferably with a non-slip back.

You will need a scoring tool of some sort, with a tip not as sharp as a knife blade. My favorite is a very large, kinda-blunt sewing needle, a Dritz Yarn Darner (metal). People use all kinds of tools for this - dry ball point pens, a sewing seam ripper, etc. See what you have in the house.

For glue, choose a white glue (PVA) to start. I like Elmers, some people like Aleene’s Tacky, and there are other brands. Toothpicks or small flat brushes can be used to apply the glue. Squeeze a drop onto a scrap piece of card stock, then pick it up with the toothpick or brush.

Some small cylindrical tools are nice for forming cylinders and other curves. I use knitting needles, but there are many other options. And you’ll want some fine-pointed tweezers for handling small parts. I keep a pencil nearby to mark the part number onto the back of the part, but that’s optional.

For edge coloring, I have a 00000 brush, plus a cup of water and paper towel for brush cleaning. I use various watercolors; again, people use all kinds of coloring methods and you can see what you like. Not everyone bothers with edge coloring, but it does improve the finished model’s appearance a great deal.

That’s about it — not too big an investment financially. One of the virtues of this particular hobby
Old 01-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Not to be contrary, but I use 110# for everything. I like its stability while cutting with knife or scissor as it is least likely to accidentally bend or crease while cutting especially with my huge cumbersome kaveman hands. ;p
Old 01-15-2019, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.65 MB
Wow, what a nice set of tips! I forgot about the needles, I do have some, so that will help. Thanks for the description of what kind of paper to use. Just need to start on the cutting.

Thanks for the inputs!

Scott ;-)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM

Taking everyone's advice, I went to Canon and got the dozer model. What fun! Flat printout to 3-d model. It is fascinating how that works. I am really enjoying the process.

Hmmm... tried to ad an image. The forum is looking for an URL. Since I don't have an online service to store pictures and images. What is the recommended way to add images? I enjoy seeing them, so want to share mine. Do we use a service? Can we just embed the files in the message? I am kind of lost here. Thanks for your help.

I will go an look at how-to, now. OOPS! I found the attachment process! Yeah! Am trying to attach. Looks like it might have worked. Hope so.

Question does remain, what is recommended method for images?

Scott ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Hello-img-1715.jpg  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 AM

OK, reading the first HowTo on pictures.

Take away,
1. Can attach
2. Can link
3. Link uses no storage on servers
4. Attach uses storage
5. Limited sizes, see attach page.
6. Should reduce sizes, before attaching.

So, from above, would like to use an external service, any recommendations?

Scott
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Flickr is good, free account is limited to 1000 photos
Google Photos is a great service, part of your Google account.
Amazon Photos, part of your Prime membership, haven't tried to link pictures to the forum.
Could create your own website, uploading pictures to that, and then linking to the forum.
Wix, Google Pages, Squarespace, and probably dozens more.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the list of services, will be trying one of them.

Scott ;-)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Looks like your dozer is coming along nicely. We’ll look forward to seeing your progress.

Filby — you’ll get no argument from me. If 110# works for your projects, great! I wouldn’t recommend it for very tiny models, though.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM

A little progress.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...JkbjVoWlRVcXJz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...I4TzhNMFBzZWx3

Some progress on the Dozer, took a while to figure out which way and how to curve the paper for the blade, partially assembled.

Scott
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Angry Adding Pix??

OK, that didn't work as expected. Hmmm.... I copied in the links to the post. Probably not the way to do it. Trying again. Using the Insert Image and putting in the links from Google Drive.

There are 2 IMG tags above this sentence, and I don't see the images. Not sure how to add images via a link, now.

Scott

Last edited by drtetrode; 02-06-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Links not working.
Google Adsense