PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 03-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello World from Merkels Germany

Hey Guys and Girls,

my Name is Sebastian. Im 27 Years old and studying Master called environmental modeling (Math :D ). I'm really into building stuff. Years ago I had snakes and build the terrariums for them from OSB and so on. I'm always on search for new possibilities to create something. So now i would like to try out papercraft (you can build something, it's relaxing and for a student important, its cheap :D).

So here is my first question: I downloaded Imcolds X-Wing (yeah I know It's damn complex, but with enough patience I can handle it). Do you print the pages all on 80mgs paper and mount it with glue on for example 0.5 paper or do you print it on 0.5 paper directly? I am asking because in our copyshop its really expensive to print on 0.5 paper.

Greetings Armynius

P.S. I'm not a Fan of Merkel but better than better than other leaders :D
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2019, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Welcome. I’d love to help, but I’m not too familiar with the papers used in Germany. I see that 80-100 gsm paper is recommended for this model. I think you would print it all on that. Where it needs to be reinforced for bulkheads and other structure, glue the printed 80 gsm piece to the 0.5 mm thick cardboard (or other thickness). Others with more experience with European papers are encouraged to join in
Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Herzlich Willkommen in der Falte.

This is a great forum with a very friendly bunch of cutups.

First a disclaimer I have not built this model.

I would print the model om 65/67#, 180.00 GSM cover stock. The important part is that the paper is around 0.008 inch / 0.20mm thick. For parts marked 0.5 mm glue the part on to paper stock that is 0.5mm.

I make my own thick card stock by laminating the 65# / 180 GSM stock using a spray contact cement. Using PVA white glues will cause the card stock to warp. Using a heavy book press the paper on a flat surface and allow to dry for at least one day. 2 sheets will make stock that is 0.5 mm, three sheets 0.75 mm and 4 sheets 1.0 mm. this home-made stock is almost like working with plastic sheet stock.

I would also suggest that you allow the printed paper to “dry” for a couple of days so that the ink will be less likely to bleed from the glue. To speed this process up lay the paper on a very flat surface printed side down. Fold a towel so that you have at least three thicknesses of cloth. lay the cloth on top of the paper. Using a hot Iron set to high with no steam, press the cloth making sure that you do not scorch the paper.

Color the cut edges of the paper with water color paints or colored pencils, I prefer water colors.

Ask questions and please post photos as you build your model.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 AM

Thank you very much I will try it this way and post photos if I'm happy with the results
Old 03-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Hello, Sebastian.
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2019, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Armynius

No matter what the skill level we enjoy seeing other paper modelers learn and progress in their skills. So go ahead and show us what you have built if there is something that you are having difficulty with just ask the forum.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nunn View Post
Armynius

No matter what the skill level we enjoy seeing other paper modelers learn and progress in their skills. So go ahead and show us what you have built if there is something that you are having difficulty with just ask the forum.

Jim Nunn

Thanks I will do this

@Philip: Hello