PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 48.0 KB
Hi there, I just found this forum

I've been a model builder since my teens and I will be celebrating my 70th birthday in August. I first became interested in building paper models a couple of years ago with the hope that I could develop the skills needed for this branch of model building, particularly model ships.

One thing I am noticing already with the model ships, particularly sailing ships is that there are a lot of threads dealing with starting a sailing ship model but most end long before finishing the model. I too have suffered the same problem, several starts but very few finishes. As of now I have only one paper model that I completed. A small German tramp steamer.
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Welcome. Think a lot of us have that completion problem. So I just look at this as a support group...and marvel at the ones that can go straight through to finish.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Modelerbob. Welcome to the forum.

When I talk to somebody about participating in our hobby, I always recommend that a newcomer start with an easy model that has a good chance of being completed on the first try. Even if it's not your field of interest, I'll recommend a simple architectural model because they are usually two or three boxes boxes glued together.

I'll tell them that their first model will probably show a lot of mistakes...glue splotches, bad parts placement and uneven seams. But, I say that it's important that the first model be finished, because from the mistakes come the understanding of how to do a better job the next time.

Unfortunately, when someone new to paper modeling attempts a model beyond their skill level, frustration and abandonment of both the project and the hobby are often the end result. And that's a shame, because paper modeling is an endlessly engaging hobby with a worldwide audience willing to offer advice and encouragement to both the first time builder and the acknowledged expert alike.

This forum is a great learning tool for those wanting to develop their paper modeling skills. I hope you continue build paper models and find a place among the many friendly members of our forum.

Also, if you're looking for some paper shipbuilding inspiration, search for the models built by Michael Mash. He possesses remarkable skills and dedication, and he started out just as we all did, building his skills one step at a time.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 04-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Hello, Bob. I couldn't agree more with what Thumb Dog says, but in the end it's your interest and you can take it any way you want.