PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.67 MB
Hello Paper Mashers

Hi Everyone,

A little background:

Like many, my first introduction to model making was with plastic kits given on birthdays and Christmas. (no painting, just oodles of glue and press it together )
I did learn a lot of techniques over time and I eventually got to an acceptable standard.

Actually, I suppose I did some card modelling in the very early 80's. I remember I attempted to make a Star Wars Tie fighter out of a cardboard (packing) box and a light saber from a torch and rolled up paper. Neither were successful, but as 10yr old without money to buy things, it encouraged creativity and eased boredom.

I "grew up" and stopped model making, (except for a quick dalliance building balsa RC planes and boats while I had the means to do so, and no commitments )

Fast forward 20 something years, and I needed a creative outlet. I made a couple of plastic kits (aircraft mostly and a MKII Matilda tank diorama) which was fun and good to rediscover lost skills and gain some new ones as an older and more patient person!

So, how did I end up here?
Kids school projects.
I needed to assist with making various models for school homework and whilst trawling the internet for inspiration, I stumbled across the canon papercraft site.

I made a model from there and I was hooked.

I love the ability to just reprint pages when I mess up, and I am still very much a beginner with paper modelling techniques, but that is part of the draw. Learning from others and from my own mistakes.

I've only been making paper models for a couple of years, and I haven't been overly prolific, but I've done a few models:
USS Enterprise by Ron Caudillo
Dr Who Tardis by Ironcow production
Tower of London and a bear mask by Canon papercraft

I am currently making UDon's U boat VIIc.

I started a build thread for this on the Zealot forum, but I'm not keen on the direction the site owners have taken with the forum.

It's a shame for me, because they are a good bunch of people over there. (and some are here too)

Anyway, I hope you will accept me on this forum, and I look forward to contributing to this site.
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Welcome Papa mashy. There is a lot here that will help you improve and we will surely learn from you, everyone has something to teach. There are also very kind and willing people to collaborate.
Sergio.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanks Sergio.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Hello, Papa Mashy.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.81 MB
Welcome! You will find lots of nice people here, and stunning models. Some of us without the time (too many of the commitments you mentioned) are here to live vicariously, watching some beautiful and amazing projects come together.
Google Adsense
Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Welcome to the forum

Tim
Old 07-07-2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the welcome all.

I decided last night it was about time I created my own 5x5x5cm scale block for photos.

I've placed the 8.8cm SK C/35 naval gun in front that I'm working on for my Uboat build.

Hello Paper Mashers-dscn2373.jpg
Hello Paper Mashers-dscn2375.jpg
Hello Paper Mashers-dscn2376.jpg

If your wondering, I'm painting the whole piece and hence why the the edges are still white.

I'm happy to share the blank cube .pdf if anyone wants it, or put up in the download area.

Cheers.

P.S.

Oh, I learnt something already whilst being here. Using various sizes knitting needles to form tubes. I'd have never thought of that. I've been using approximate bits of dowel, wire, paintbrush handles, all sorts.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Another good tool for forming tubes is old drill bits, they come in just about any size you desire,
Old 07-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Another good tool for forming tubes is old drill bits, they come in just about any size you desire,

Yes! Good call. Also, particularly good for the sub 2mm sizes too i should imagine. In fact I have a box of micro drills sat on my desk staring up at me and it never crossed my mind . That said, I try to avoid super small tubes and would substitute with wire.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Welcome on board. From years of experience and skills we will learn something from you I am sure