PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.99 MB
Talking Greetings From North Texas

Good morning everyone.

I typically spend time lurking and learning, but after receiving the email about permissions and introductions, I figured I should introduce myself.

I've always tinkered with things to see how they worked, but that was typically more on the destructive side than the constructive. haha. Like many I built models growing up, but stopped as I got older and priorities shifted. The first model I remember building (and did not give it the justice it deserved) was a Lockheed P-38 Lightning, when I was 6. I'm lucky that it actually resembled the plane when I was finished. Over the years I've also built model rockets, rc planes (crashed it and never re-built it), and rc cars.

Fast forward many years and a couple of kids later, I wanted to do something that didn't involve a lot of space, tools, or money. That is when I started doing origami. That lead to other paper crafts like mechanical movements and paper automata. Then the bug hit again for modeling. I've built a few of the free kits out there, but honestly they didn't fit the way I had hoped. I could have fixed portions, but then I was getting more into the scratch building. (it interests me, but my skill set is not there yet.)

Being prior service military aviation, skydiver, and space geek, I am drawn to military, aviation, and space models. Searching for some good kits in these areas I found spacerunner's space shuttle launch pad (wow) and then started browsing this site. Ultimately, I am here to learn from everyone and try to reign in my tendency to jump straight to the hardest possible model and then get mad because it isn't perfect. Baby steps. (going to be hard for me.)

Well, that is more than I had intended to type. Now back to the lurking and learning.

-Kenny
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2019, 08:18 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Hey Kenny,

Thanks for popping up, and letting us know you joined our merry band of fellow paper manglers.

I would suggest checking out the Aviation and Space categories in our Download section(top right set of tabs, 2nd from the right)
And we have a very well stocked Links directory, where you can visit those sites hosting other models, also check out the Found on the Internet sub forum for all one off models, or new stuff that has been released.

The Tips & Tricks sub forum has a dearth of information available, we all have been where you are now, and most of us share our skills we have developed over the years freely.

If you get stuck, don't get mad, ask questions, take a picture of the problem part, and more than likely someone will have either built the same kit, or can offer a suggestion that will allow you to continue.

And if you have any other questions, just ask

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Thank you very much, Rick! I will check out those sections.

Kenny
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lurk and learn Ten9t6!...
Old 10-28-2019, 10:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Bunches of other modellers in Texas. This isn't a great season of life for building anything small and detailed right now with a 4 year old boy but I still lurk, too.
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2019, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Welcome to the board. Looks like you hit the trifecta of primary interests on the board, so lots of info.
Enjoy!
Wayne
Old 10-28-2019, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Greetings from South London.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.96 MB
Welcome aboard!! The more time that you spend here the better you're going to like it!!!
Old 10-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Welcome from Lago Vista, just a tad northwest of Austin, on the north shore of Lake Travis.
Wayne
Old 10-29-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemac View Post
Welcome from Lago Vista, just a tad northwest of Austin, on the north shore of Lake Travis.
Wayne
Love that lake. I’ve spent a lot of time diving Windy Point and pecan grove below. I haven’t been in a few years though.
Google Adsense