PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you all so much for such a wonderful, warm welcome.

I think I am going to find myself spending so much time here, last night I was just browsing the wonderful models, the skill and talent here is amazing.

Thank you as well for the advice and links, the models on that canon website looks like the perfect place to start and after watching the videos have a better understanding of how to cut, who would have thought there was so much involved in just cutting!

which brings me to some questions and my first bit of bad luck I suppose.

Hunted out my old printer from the loft, an Epson workforce pro 4535 brought it in 2012, still have plenty of inks left but when I fired the printer up the print quality was poor, so did what the manual said and ran through the cleaning of it, seems after a few hours of messing around its never going to get the printer heads clean or print well again, whole lines of print missing, which is a darn shame as the inks will be wasted I fear.

So looks like I need to find a new printer, any advice on a good one?

Now some questions, with regards paper, can you use photo paper, I have a few packs of I think 120grams glossy photo paper, is that any good to use?

Also scissors can you recommend me a good quality pair to get?

Going to head into town today and visit the works to check on the other supplies I need, but hopefully can download and try my first model this coming week.

thanks again for making me feel so welcome to your forum and hobby.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Glad you found the site!

What kind of model will you be looking for? Plenty available to download in the download section.

As mentioned, we do have areas to learn lots of techniques from.

Quick hints:
1) Careful with the amount of glue you use, too much can warp the paper and takes forever to dry. Ideally use just enough to get a good joint. I use a small dentist tool called a Monoject 512 (plastic syringe used to flush water into the mouth). It lays down a small bead that is the perfect size, controlled by how much pressure you exert on the plunger.
a) Lots of things can be used as a tool for applying glue, toothpicks, q-tips, bamboo skewers, inkjet refill syringes, can find glue bottles in the fishing dept, a small plastic bottle with a metal tube that can be squeezed to apply the glue, get one with the bigger tube for easier gluing.

2) Press hard and hold the glue connection. You want the glue to penetrate the fibers on both pieces. Clamping forces the glue deep to get a nice connection. Clamping can be as easy as pressing down with a thumb or finger with the parts sandwiched between them and a tabletop.

3) Good tools. Keep them cutting tools sharp. Find a stylus or embosser to help "score" the fold lines. Bamboo skewers, wood dowel help out big time. Straight edges are a must. I use the plastic quilting type because they are thick enough to help guide the blade vertically while cutting.

4) Pre-Shape all the parts. Roll tubes, cones etc. to give them a curved "pre-rolled" shape. This makes construction easier. A mouse pad and wood dowel can help roll tubes (example of all kinds of uses in this hobby for different household items).

5) When cutting parts out. Try to cut the same part of the outline "line" as you are cutting the parts out: i.e., some cut down the center of the line, others start on one edge and cut that same edge. I like to remove all black lines, so I cut the inked line on the "inside" side to remove. This helps maintain a constant "size" standard for all parts.

6) Some models have bad part fit, this can be discouraging, if for some reason the parts aren't fitting, ask questions here, maybe someone else has info that can help, or let you know it is the model and not you.

7) Have fun!

Very nice to meet you.

Mike
rule 8 , scan every model you buy before you cut anything, that way you get chance to print spare parts for ''deliberate errors"""
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
I think I had a similar problem with an old Epson printer years ago - basically just kept cleaning the heads until it eventually cleared itself. If you haven't already tried it might be worth an online search for troubleshooting advice before ditching it.

If there's a branch of Wilkinsons (Wilko) anywhere near I've found their own brand 'A4 white super smooth presentation card' to be pretty good - it's 160gsm and prints up nicely with good bright colours.

As for scissors, far and away my favourite pair are made by Fiskars - 'Fiskars Soft touch Spring Action - Micro-Tip scissors' to be precise. They're solidly made, cut cleanly to the end of the tips, and have straight handles. If you do a lot of cutting. I've found 'ordinary' handles make your thumb sore! You can get them for £12 odd on ebay.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
First off, welcome. A great bunch of people here willing to help.

I second SteveB about the Fiskars Soft touch Spring Action - Micro-Tip scissors.

Good lighting is essential also. Try to cut down on the shadows. That makes it easier to score and cut.

I use a hardwood dowel that I have sharpened with a pencil sharpener for scoring by making a shallow dent along the score line. I kind of dull the extreme pointed end of the dowel after sharpening. Less likely to poke through the cards stock that way.

Another good tool to use is a small crocheting hook. Before I started using the hardwood dowel I had some of those crocheting hooks encased in wood (for a better handle) to score with.