PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 12-26-2020, 02:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
From your image of the formers - * - usually means laminate to 0.5mm card but ** - means laminate to 1mm card. 1mm card is about the thinnest you can use for the structure of a 1:25 model.

You can just glue the thin paper onto the pieces of thick card and cut them out or use spray glue or use a glue stick or even use plastic wrap like "Gladwrap" and melt the paper on with a household iron. There are instructions for doing that in this forum - the guy who came up with had a fancy name for the process which I've forgotten but it works well.

You will have the problem of getting the frame straight so that the skin will fit nicely. Using right angle pieces on the interior angles of the frame makes this easy. I use a piece of graph paper stuck on 1mm card to create right angled pieces.

regards,

Charlie
Old 12-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Madness View Post
It’s the Answer ModelArt Su-122. Not too many complicated curves or bulbous areas. So I thought a simple geometric design would be a good one to start with.
I think you’ve made a pretty good choice. I have a couple of Answer ModelArt kits in my stash, though not the Su-122. Their style of design doesn’t look like it should offer any serious difficulties, and you can always ask here if you get stuck. For the most part it will just be repetitive. Score, cut, fold & glue!
Old 12-27-2020, 04:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Hello Mopar Madness,
welcome from Italy!
Kudos for your starting in this wonderful form of art. As you can see, you always find a lot of kind people that can help you.
Have a nice stay here!
Old 12-27-2020, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.54 MB
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and fantastic tips.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
From you model choice I assume you're an armor guy. It might be wise to hone your basic skills (scoring, rolling, glue application, etc) on a simpler model before chopping into that nice large scale published kit.

If you have a printer, get yourself some 65 or 110 lb card stock (Staples, Office Max, Walmart etc), and check out the forum's download tab. There are some pretty nice simple armor kits in there that you can print out. Inkjet printed pages need to be sealed with a couple light spray on clear coats (I use Krylon) before you begin your build.

I know from personal experience, that it's very easy to get frustrated by trying to run before you can walk. My first attempt at card modeling was a miserable failure, and it was a couple of years before I revisited the hobby.
Google Adsense
Old 12-28-2020, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.54 MB
Thank you Don! I’ll do just that.