PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello

Hello
my name is George Manea, I'm from Lugoj/Romania.By luck, I've find your fine forum.It's verry interesting.Will need some time to make a tour.I'm actualy building RC airplanes from scratch.I find that understanding papermodels building technique is verry useful for designing and building RC planes.
Please excuse my not so good english.
Thank's
Your's
Jimmy
( G.Manea )
Google Adsense
Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 PM

Welcome George, this a great place with great people, and if you want to understand card modelling, you've come to the right place.

+ Don't apologise for your English mate, modelling has language all of its own. ~ pictures are worth a thousand words ( in any language )

Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Welcome to the forum. If you can make them out of balsa wood, you can make them out of paper. Post some of your models, we love pictures here.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 AM

Some of My RC projects

Thank you friends.
Here are some pictures of my finished and unfinished RC projects.
When I started my RC P-47,find a paper model with the same camo ( Gabreski's HV*A ) from JSC.I realised that papermodel building technique is more complicated as it seems to be.It was almost a failure, started the fuse but need to stop.The quality of asseblage was a desaster.
But i'm sure this forum is the right place to find some secrets about it.

Thank's again.
G.Manea
Attached Thumbnails
Hello-0002.jpg   Hello-03.jpg   Hello-03a.jpg   Hello-0006.jpg   Hello-0008.jpg  

Hello-0020.jpg   Hello-0024.jpg   Hello-0025.jpg   Hello-222.jpg   Hello-blackstripes01.jpg  

Hello-insfc-01.jpg   Hello-p1000766.jpg   Hello-p1000938.jpg   Hello-p1030480.jpg   Hello-p1050157.jpg  

Hello-p1050161.jpg   Hello-p1050164.jpg   Hello-wingstripes01.jpg   Hello-wingstripes04.jpg  
Old 08-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The trick to making the models the Balsa wood way, is to treat the paper as if it was wood. That means you have to laminated like crazy to get the thickness of the balsa wood and trimming to the desired framework. You cannot make a former/bulkhead out of a single sheet of 120lb weight paper for a flying model. You have to laminated it to about 8X to achieve the thickness and strength of the balsa equivalent. That is if you are making it out of the plans for a balsa model. If the models are smaller say 1/48 scale, then the laminations are also less if you intend to make laminated bulkheads/former.

I hope that may help you try again that P-47. Also note that some modelers, myself included, make scan copies of our sheets in case of disaster.
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
.... Also note that some modelers, myself included, make scan copies of our sheets in case of disaster ...
Well, I forget to mention that my test work of P-47 ,was copied and printed black&white, to save the original in case of ....
My ideea for using papermodels is to copy the cardboard,enlarge and print the skin and interiour ,than glue the prints on thin 2 to 6mm foam.Until here I think is no problem.But after that, I need to know the secrets of carving/mounting/glueing the parts togeter, same tech as the "real" cardboard tech.Excepting the front parts witch need to suport the engine/motor.
I have seen a couple of RC electric powered planes realised on the same methods, the papermodel being the main source for building.I've contacted the builders but they maybe want to keep the secret for themselves ....
BTW I studied Ron's P-51 from ModelArt, and maybe my starting experience will be based on this P-51.
Your's
G.Manea
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Here you can see the 1:33 and 1:6 models.Both unfinished ...
G.Manea
Attached Thumbnails
Hello-p-47.jpg  
Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Jimmy,
Do a search here for cdavenport build threads and posts. He uses foam formers and cores on some of his paper models. Might find what you need, or else message him directly.

Yogi