PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 09-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello All

I'm new here (obviously)
I teach a course in cosmology, astronomy, and planetary science to non-science majors. As part of the course, we have constructed 7 planetary probes, 3 space telescopes, and the Keck scope out of paper. I also enjoy scifi. paper models and am preparing to build the 'Chihuahua de Papel" Serenity model (it took a while to find a copy since the site is defunct)
I have never designed my own but I have done some image mapping, texturizing and a bit of modification for bad fit. I'm really mostly interested in building space models.

-Glenn
Google Adsense
Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Welcome the the Forum! I teach 8th grade physical science, but my love is astronomy, cosmology and the like.

In fact, I was just reading a "treatise" on the "electrical universe." The sum of the story is that Einstein got it wrong because the difference between matter and mass has never been quantified. The writer goes on to say that Newton's equation for gravity has no time variable in it. If Einstein's speed limit of the universe is correct, how do we stay in orbit? We are orbiting the sun where it is now in space, not where it was 8.5minutes ago. So, gravity must act at a speed several orders of magnitude greater than that of light.

So, it goes. I don't know if the idea is sound, but it sure was fun reading!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome Glenn,

I share your enthusiasm (but lack the patience both you and Charles have in dealing with the barbarians). Lot's of potential projects, demos, or diversions in the downloads (and more at jleslie48.com if needed).

The models and other toys (dowloads for ARES I stomp rocket in realspace; straw rocket launcher in toys & automata) catch their interest and give you a start. There's a design thread on Venus Magellan in the design section that might also help you work up your own designs (if I can do it anyone can).

Yogi
Old 10-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Welcome and look forward to seeing your Serenity build.