PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Oh- the SE5a is my fave WW1 bird and I'd love to see pictures of yours. Owning and flying a replica SE5a was a boyhood dream of mine that will now probably never be realized, but I'm glad you were able to have one!

I'd love to hear about how she handles in the air.

Wyvern
Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice Corsair. How does it fly?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard!

Yogi
Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Back in late 1973 I had seen an article in an Air Progress magazine about 2 guys in British Columbia, Canada who had plans drawn up and built 2 7/8th scale SE5a. I was hooked. They were selling the plans so I jumped on the offer and for an outrageous $60 was ready to start. It took 2 more years for me to obtain the bench power tools, and welding outfit I needed to start so in January of '76 I was ready to start making sawdust - and did for 12 and a half years. On June 29th, 1988 I flew it for the first time and it was nearly perfect - just a little retrimming the flying wires and stabilizer incidence. I flew it for nearly 12 years before heart surgery stopped my flying for a while, accumulating nearly 320 on the plane during that time. The plane was damaged during its downtime by either dogs or coyotes trying to get a mouse they thought was in the left aileron. Hopefully next year I'll have my new garage/shop done and it will shortly be getting a complete overhaul.
I have flown many different types of aircraft but have to say that this replica flies better than all of them. It is somewhat short on power and a little slow but is very light and forgiving as well as maneuverable and nimble. My son, Karl, was 5 years old when I bought the plans but 3 hours after I flew it, I let him fly it (he was 17 then). I think that's a tribute to how well I thought it flew. He now flies MD 90s for Delta Airlines and has more flight hours and ratings than I ever dreamed of but he still has fond memories of the SE5a.
I think that the ultimate thrill for me was to fly air combat maneuvers against Fred Murrin's full scale Fokker DR-1 Triplane at the end of the show during the first Dawn Patrol Rendezvous at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio in 1996.

Please enjoy the photos. I certainly do.

All the Best
Fred Jungclaus
Dayton '96 picture by jungclaus - Photobucket
Se5a at Dayton picture by jungclaus - Photobucket
Jungclaus flying SE5a at Creve Cour, MO picture by jungclaus - Photobucket
Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Meatbomber

There's a guy who posts on Zealot, meatbomber, who developed a thread that exactly answers your request. Here is the url:

Fiddlers Green F4U-1 Corsair for Minium Equipment - Zealot Hobby Forum

As he explains it, he uses Fiddler's Green models as templates on that foam used for food trays. He colors them with markers to keep the weight down. They look pretty good and fly great.

Love to see one of your creations when you get it built.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungclaus View Post
Back in late 1973 I had seen an article in an Air Progress magazine about 2 guys in British Columbia, Canada who had plans drawn up and built 2 7/8th scale SE5a. I was hooked. They were selling the plans so I jumped on the offer and for an outrageous $60 was ready to start. It took 2 more years for me to obtain the bench power tools, and welding outfit I needed to start so in January of '76 I was ready to start making sawdust - and did for 12 and a half years. On June 29th, 1988 I flew it for the first time and it was nearly perfect - just a little retrimming the flying wires and stabilizer incidence. I flew it for nearly 12 years before heart surgery stopped my flying for a while, accumulating nearly 320 on the plane during that time. The plane was damaged during its downtime by either dogs or coyotes trying to get a mouse they thought was in the left aileron. Hopefully next year I'll have my new garage/shop done and it will shortly be getting a complete overhaul.
I have flown many different types of aircraft but have to say that this replica flies better than all of them. It is somewhat short on power and a little slow but is very light and forgiving as well as maneuverable and nimble. My son, Karl, was 5 years old when I bought the plans but 3 hours after I flew it, I let him fly it (he was 17 then). I think that's a tribute to how well I thought it flew. He now flies MD 90s for Delta Airlines and has more flight hours and ratings than I ever dreamed of but he still has fond memories of the SE5a.
I think that the ultimate thrill for me was to fly air combat maneuvers against Fred Murrin's full scale Fokker DR-1 Triplane at the end of the show during the first Dawn Patrol Rendezvous at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio in 1996.

Please enjoy the photos. I certainly do.

All the Best
Fred Jungclaus
Dayton '96 picture by jungclaus - Photobucket
Se5a at Dayton picture by jungclaus - Photobucket
Jungclaus flying SE5a at Creve Cour, MO picture by jungclaus -
Photobucket
BEAUTIFUL replica! Thanks for the pictures, and I hope you get basck in the air soon!
-Wyvern
Old 10-31-2009, 08:25 PM

Did Al have his Pup when you were at Creve Coeur?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Go Here

Welcome aboard Fred. A good idea of how to use paper model designs for flyable RC models can be found here:

Scale Model JU-87 STUKA convert from paper model - RC Groups
and here:

Big He-111 for Summer HOT project - RC Groups

Best regards,

+Gil
Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 AM

If the 'Al' you're referring to is Al Stix(?), or something like that, who has a collection of antique planes and replicas at Creve Coeur, I don't think so. The Pup he had or has (if he still has it) was built by Pat Tomlinson of, I think, Arizona and in spite of have a welded steel tube fuselage was, on the exterior, the most authentic, nicest version I have ever seen. It had an 80hp leRhone Rotary and a blank firing, authentic Vickers machine gun. Pat was at both the Aerodrome ('92 and '94) and the first 'Rendezvous' at the Air Force Museum. You could always tell when you were flying behind the Pup because you could smell the castor oil.
The Creve Couer event I attended was in 1998 and I was lucky enough to win Best Allied Replica. That the pup had been there then I'm sure I would not have won.

Best,

Fred
Google Adsense