PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello from an N-scaler

I found this site after reading an article on cardstock/paper modeling in Model Railroader magazine and am very impressed with it. You all are doing some fantastic things!
I have two modest N scale (1:160) layouts: one of the 1920 era at my winter home in Florida and the other (much smaller) one of the 1950 era at my summer place in Maryland. Both are in early stages, with trackwork down but no scenery or structures yet.
Any advice, links to or sources of N scale structures would be very welcome. It seems much harder to find things of U.S. prototypes, which is what I want.

-- Tom
Google Adsense
Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Since I am not a railroader, I generally do not build those types of structures. But, I have run across quite a few at various railroading sites.

Here is one for you to look at; I found it by Googling "n scale paper model."

About.com: http://www.thortrains.net/freecoms.html

Good luck and show us the buildings in your layout when you have them built. Even though we are not principally RR modelers, we love models nonetheless.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Hello,
I just started making building models for old west RR set ups. Th 1880 town church in the download section is my first attempt, but it is in 1/87 scale (HO scale maybe) Any how, I would be happy to try some N scale stuff as well, or make downloads with both scales available. 1:160 scale seems small, but bigger then the deck houses of 1/250 boats so I guess I can handle that. Are you just looking for general buildings to fill out your set. I have some pictures of down town Pierre, SD taken in the 1920s, 30s and 50s that could be a working ideas for town buildings (although most of the brick buildings in Pierre came in around 1910-15 when the Capital building was put in.)

Anyhow, let me know what things you are looking for and I will give it a try. I am new to designing and have mostly done confederate war ships but buildings are catching my attention.

CT
Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Hello!

Welcome on board!!!

Chaiwat
Old 10-31-2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to building some of these models.

I've built many more airplanes and boats (especially R/C) than trains but am intrigued by creating a scene that operates like the real thing. I remember the wonderfully fun WW2 cardboard airplane models that came in cereal boxes when I was a child, including the J3 Cub that was strung inside a box with an external joystick controlling it.

Model ships and boats in a size approximating N scale would be interesting, since I do have a waterfront scene on each layout. A small tug, some barges and old Chesapeake Bay style commercial workboats and cargo carriers would be perfect. A 1/200 scale would be close enough, perhaps even 1/250 if it's a vessel that was built in various lengths, like a skipjack, Buy Boat or Bay freighter.

-- Tom
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Here is a site that has a bunch of model railroad related stuff. About 2/3 down the page are some paper models for layouts. The text explains about the file format and what you need to open them and gives some advice on how to scale them for the rr scale you want. I have not made any of the models so cannot comment on the quality or ease in working with the graphics.

All-Gauge Model Railroading Page
Old 10-31-2009, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
Cub in a box

Tom, I remember the cub in a box. I've searched the internet hoping someone may have reproduced it but no luck. And I too built many of those cardboard planes, both the ones that came in "PEP" and the ones that you put a penny in the nose and hand launched to fly. Great memories from a long time ago. I feel sorry for the kids of today, they are missing so much. John
Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
You can find some of the dime models at Fly'N Things -- Amazing Paper Airplanes and information on their history. Haven't seen the Cub sim on-line.

Yogi
Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
penny planes

Thanks Yogi.

John
Old 10-31-2009, 09:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Here is a site that has a bunch of model railroad related stuff. About 2/3 down the page are some paper models for layouts. The text explains about the file format and what you need to open them and gives some advice on how to scale them for the rr scale you want. I have not made any of the models so cannot comment on the quality or ease in working with the graphics.

All-Gauge Model Railroading Page
Thanks so much for that!