PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Greetings from Cape Town

I recently came across some old dog-eared paper model plans from Poland in the attic of my late uncle. They must be at least 50 years old, looking at the quality anbd graphic style. This intrigued me and brought back memories of building plastic models as a child.
Now that we all have high-quality, high resolution A4 and A3 inkjet printers I have often wondered whether it would be possible to create a cardboard model approaching the quality of a die-cast plastic one.
So, gradually over the last few months an spark of interest in paper modelling has gradually been growing and I have been googling many of the cardboard modelling sites. Quite by chance I stumbled over papermodelers.com so here I am. This certainly seems to be one of the more lively paper-modelling forums. I sense a good vibe

For those that are interested, may I introduce myself:
I am a 57-year old ex-photographer (glaucoma causes problems with focussing - that's why I'm now "ex"), and now I run a web site that sells educational e-books. On the side I supplement my income by doing IT support.

Experience in paper modelling - absolutely none - total newbie - but getting more and more interested in the possibilities since I am fairly skilled in photoshop and Adobe illustrator which seem to me to be the most obvious tools to produce these creations.

Greetings
Dave Britzius
(Cape Town)
Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Welcome to the Forum! I spent a week in Capetown waaay back in 1986, just before the US embargo. I had a wonderful time.

We are the same age and have similar interests. You will find lots of help here, too.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard Dave! No experience necessary - just print, score, cut, fold/bend and glue! Look over the forums to see what interests you, then check out the links pages (or just ask) for a few simple, free designs to get started. Then, head out where ever that takes you.

Yogi
Old 11-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Hiya Dave!

Nice to see another South African here! Sure you'll enjoy every moment here!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Dear South Africa,

Please visit my webpage SAAB Gripen, so you will have a new experience in 1/200 scale paper models!
Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the welcome.
I had a look at some of the articles, but I still have some ridiculously stupid questions which will probably get me flamed and burnt to a cinder, but here goes:
  1. When printing on an inkjet paper stock, what weight of paper is preferred?
  2. Does one use coated archival paper (such as those used for wedding photographs)? or will a budget coated paper do? Glossy or matte?
  3. What kind of adhesive does one use? Pritt (stick), white woodworker's glue?, hot gluegun glue? (see... I'm clueless - that's why I'm here to learn)
Greetings
Dave Britzius

Last edited by Terhi; 11-09-2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Deleted point 4 - Redundant - Found info on papermodelers.com
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Please visit my webpage SAAB Gripen, so you will have a new experience in 1/200 scale paper models!
Could you please supply a URL ?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Hi Terhi

1 - The thickness of the card is up to you and depends on the particular model you build. I'd recommend searching a build thread here on any model you want to build and find out what the experts use. :D

2 - In the beginning, I'd say stay away from glossy finishes, they could prove a tad difficult for beginners. Once you feel confident enough in your buiding, some models will look better in gloss but then there's gloss-coat sprays that you can use to coat your model afterward. Start out with normal cardstock is my suggestion...

3 - I don't recommend the pritt stick since it leaves clumps of glue on your paper. Look for "Power Pritt Gel", it is a clear gel that you can apply in small amounts, dries relatively easy and hardens well. But again you should try out different glues and see what works for you.

The key element in building is patience.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Dave -
Paper weight of 60-110 lb (150-300 gsm) works well.
Specialty paper not required, you can just get standard white cover stock (bristol not recommended as it seems to de-laminate for me). You can experiment with fancier coated and colored papers as you go along.
Heavier card where specified by the design (usually referenced by thickness, use cereal boxes, matte board, etc.).
Any glue that sticks paper will work, from standard "white glue" (PVA, Elmer's, etc) to specialty glues sold at the craft store for scrapbooking, etc. Glue sticks can work but don't provide a very strong bond and may not last. Check out the thread on glue selection for lots more info.
What glue
I use carpenter's glue swiped from my garage (Titebond II), it's strong, waterproof, and tacks up fast - doesn't dry clear is the only disadvantage (use sparingly).

Yogi (we don't flame here - paper remember ...)
Old 11-10-2009, 12:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
Hi Terhi,

Welcome, I'm also South African living in "Kempton Park" To see the exposure paper modeling get in South Africa makes me all warm inside. As you know paper modeling is not well known here.... and the more exposure it gets the better!

Need any help, just ask away!
BTW I should call you "Oom" :-)

But as experience... I use Bostick Clear glue, this really works well and wood glue is water based and tends to ripple paper if not used sparingly..... as you might know. Genkem (carpenters glue) does work excellent, but yes it doesn't dry clear and that might cause a bad build. Use it sparingly as previously advised. As a rule... try to avoid (Glue sticks) it doesn't last at all. The models I’ve build in 2005 with bostick clear still stands "assembled" with not a notion of falling apart...

So please do not hesitate to ask... We are part of a wonderful community here... the people over here ROCKS!

Enjoy your new found hobby! Don't forget to get everybody else involved!

Be Safe
Werner
Google Adsense