PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
New-0ldie

Hi all, I first joined this forum two years ago. Then I got distracted by life and forgot all about paper modeling.
Now I am back.
I live in the USA.
I am a sculptor and have designed and made my own paper model sculpture. I have been thinking of making life size cardboard figure/sculpture, but that will be in the future.
I started with paper models in the early 1940's, cutting out the models that appeared in the Sunday Newspaper. Also a lot of the cereal boxes had little cardboard construction toys printed on the sides to induce young brats like me to scream for that particular cereal. My favorite toys during the war years were the Bilt-Right and other companies die cut cardboard fold and insert tabs into slots cardboard toys.
I've built models from 1942 onward: balsa flying models, U-Control powered model airplanes, carved wood and stick and tissue airplanes, tanks, ships. Then plastic model kits of various topics and, of course, paper card models. I've been in model railroading on and off since the mid '50's. Now I am building an oudoor G gauge model railroad in the back yard.
My favorite paper card models are the 1/25 armor and military trains and the 1/33 scale airplanes.
I intend to make the 1/25 scale paper card military train models for my outdoor model railroad. However, I'll have to use a more durable material, perhaps wood or plastic. In G gauge trains the gauge, or distance between the insides of the rails is 1 3/4 inches, or 44.45 mm and we run several different scales on the same track - 1/32 (and 1/35) through 1/29 to 1/25, 1/24, 1/22.5 and 1/20.3. Hopefully we can keep the makeup of the trains we run all to one scale, otherwise it looks kinda funny.
The only problem I have with scale models is I tend to incorporte them into my sculpture and that changes everything.
'nuff said.
Stephen
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome aboard, Stephen. Looking forward to your insights to help us (me) artistically challenged builders improve.

Yogi
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Stephen,
Your outdoor RR sounds like a lot of fun...I'd love to see some pictures of it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Welcome, Stephen! Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff!

BTW, some of those old 40's cereal-premium models are still available as reprints!

Wyvern