PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 11-29-2007, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fiddler's Green is a good place to start... A lot of period aircraft - they are not as detailed as some of the kits available (usually no cockpit), but they are great to learn how to work with paper. Fairly inexpensive, too.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
George,
I would say pick either Spitfire or Ki-44 and start cutting. If you mess up, just print another copy :D
Spitfire is the easier model to build from the two, but Ki-44 can also be completed without detailed engine and movable control surfaces - you don't even have to modify anything to get the simpler version.
Other option is free GeeBee R1 on my page. It's in 1:33 scale, belongs in a correct time period and it will be excellent lerning experience before you take on other planes designed by Rafal.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I would second the recommendation for the GeeBee. As stated, it is a nice kit to get you into the detailed 1/33 scale kits, without being too difficult. The radial engine has a bit of repetitive building, but overall it's not too bad. You can see my version in the link in my signature.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.34 MB
Talking Thanks guys

Chris, Mike, Dan, and all,

I am printing the Spitfire now on 110 lb paper (Xerox-card stock). Think I'ii give it a try. Like you say I can print as many as I like...I like that idea. Much cheeper than screwing the pooch and buying another plastic --or resin--model.

I know I have AMS (advanced modeler's syndrome), so I hope you will all keep hounding me . I'll try to post a pic or two as I get started. To quote the old chinese saying: A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. I'm on step one!

George