PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 11-26-2007, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.34 MB
Hello to everyone!

What an exciting hobby. So many neat subjects, and they don"t cost as much as plastic models. I have been building plastic models since I was seven--long about 1953...Guess that dates me. It seems that the plastic hobby has moved from having a good time to super-detailing to the upmost with expensive after-market products. Nice to see such nice card models done by from what I have seen so far as a "lurker" nice, helpful and supportive people. I look forward to learning from all of you this new skill. I have ordered some models from Mike at Grimir Models. The models are great, and I can't say enough nice things about Mike who helped me with reloading his models.

I've printed some of the Grimir plane models on 65lb Wasau Cover stock. Does this sound Ok? I also have 67,80,90, and 110 card stock.

I am looking forward to many new and exciting times building card models. Seems more relaxing than plastic somehow.

George
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 AM

Cool Sorry Mike

OOPS.. Sorry Mike, Grimir should read Gremir Models.

George
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Welcome, its always nice to have a new member. I look forward to seeing pictures of your builds.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Welcome!
I've used 65 pound cover stock for what I've printed, and it seems to match the pre-printed kits I've purchased. Most kits will have formers that you'll need to laminated to cardboard or layered cardstock for thickness - they should be marked and the thickness designated in the instructions.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Hi George,
Personally I preffer heavier stock (around 110lb) but everything depends on the model, paper brand, glue and personal prefferences.
Beauty of the donloadable model is that if you mess up, you just print another set and start over and you can do it until you are satisified with the result
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Regarding paper weight....yes, all the above, including 20 and 24 lb. The more construction experience you get, the easier it gets to figure out which should be used. For most projects, 65 lb works just fine. For parts that won't be seen and need laminating (like framework), use the cheapest all-purpose printer paper you can find. My general rule of thumb is, the larger the part, the heavier the paper I try for printing it. Based on your profile, your stats are about the median for the group.....welcome.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
George -- You are getting advice from folks who are far better model builders than I, but I just want to mention that weight doesn't always equate to thickness. For example, Wausau Exact Bristol, which is 67 pounds [I think -- I am sending this from a cyber-espresso emporium in Cape May, New Jersey and don't have my reference materials with me], is, at .008"/0.2mm, actually as thick or thicker than some heavier papers. Bill Geoghegan (DrBill in this forum) has put together a useful document comparing various readily available papers with the material provided in some of the most popular kits. Someone must have a copy (are you there, DrBill?).

I have added some info to Bill's reference and after I get back to Carlisle will see if he has any objection to my making it available.

A micrometer or inexpensive caliper with a dial read-out (available from Micro-Mark and many other places) is a useful (though by no means necessary) tool for checking out the thicknesses of paper, card, and wire. especially when you come across some useful card from such sources as shirts, Postal Service stamp packets, cereal boxes, notepads, and so on.

Don B.
(Who just came back from a very enjoyable walk along Two-mile Beach with his wife, Lil. Shoals of shore birds (mostly sanderlings with a generous admixture of ruddy turnstones and dunlin) skittering along the surf line and frolicking in the shallows, beautiful northern gannets circling and diving close off shore, and a northern harrier skimming along the top of the dune line. Back to Carlisle and a resumption of paper modeling tomorrow.)
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM

Thanks Don

Thanks Don,

I printed the info on card stock you mention. It's nice to hear from such nice folks. Seems like the plastic bunch is so hung up on comtests. I build plastic and resin models (see attached Collect Aire resin model pic) but get turned off by the nit -picky attitudes of younger generation modelers. I've seen the real planes and ships for many subjects when most were still around, and try to build them as accurately as possible. Paper modelsrs seem to just enjoy building and having a good time sharing info.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Hello to everyone!-mig-3-008a.jpg  
Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome, George! Your model is beautiful in any medium! This is a very supportive bunch around here! Helped me finish my last model (started a build thread and the encouragement made sure I finished it - something I am not prone to doing). Card modelling has really taken over my free time, and I enjoy it greatly.... One of the nice things about card is that if you really want to, you can start designing and building your own models (something that is a bit more difficult in plastic) - see Barry's and Golden Bear's (among others) threads....
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Smile I hear you!

Thanks Chris, and I hear you. I have trouble finishing things too. I have at least five models finished and in boxes ready for paint...seems I can't spare the time at one shot to mask and paint very often. Life, home, family and energy get in the way. Heck, I'm retired right, there should be no problems, but my mind just works differently these days. I find it difficult to sit down and concentrate on building plastic models for more than an hour or two. I'm hoping to begin building the Gremir Spit XIV or the Ki-44 for a start. I like 33rd scale. I build mostly plastic 32nd and 48th scale planes, 35th scale tanks, and 350th scale ships. Any suggestions for a first card model to try would be appreciated from everyone. I like all periods of flight, but am partial to the period 1914-1960.

George
Google Adsense