PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 05-02-2010, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Greetings from Finland...

I'm more a lurker, but thought I'd post and say Hello!

I've occasionally tinkered with card models in the past, but recently, I found I need, OK, don't need, want something for wargaming. On Miniature Wargames forum, I saw Dave Graffam's card buildings. I downloaded the freebie Hovel some time ago, but never got around to doing anything with it. The other week I bought the Low Street buildings bundle. Though for practice, I started on the Hovel.

The first build was straight to paper. It went together fast and easy, and looked pretty good. Though being 2D, I felt the detail needed highlighting, so for the next version I decided to experiment a bit.

For MkII, I printed three copies, and stuck two of the the printouts to 250mg/m2 water colour paper. On one set, I cut the 'recessed' detail, and stuck it to the base layer. I think it doesn't look to bad:

-
click photos for bigger.

MkIII turned out to be total disaster, so now resides at the local paper/card recycling skip...

For MkIV I scaled the image to 1/72nd / 25mm to suit the figures to be used with it. Also, I tried something different - I cut out the recessed detail from the base layer, and stuck the second layer on the inside. The result was smoother corners:

-
click for bigger

I've started on one of the lower street buildings:

again, click the image for a bigger view

**extra Brownie Points to anyone who can spot the major c*ck-up I made with this model... :o

I keep ideas on how to highlight the details, here and there, so every model is a bit of an experient. OK, the builds are not as skilled as a lot of the models I've seen here, but it's early days yet...

Because of the wargaming, I'm on the lookout for WWII British & German vehicles used in the North Africa campaign. Also medieval accessories such as wagons, carts and so on.

Hope to make a few more posts as the models get better.

cheers!

Rob.
Google Adsense
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Looks like a reasonable approach to get more detail and shadow lines on the models. Technique would be applicable to any model where you'd like to bulk out structure.
Your "versions" all look fine.
Yogi
Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 AM

I know they're pretty simple, but they serve for wargaming, plus it's good practice for working on more detailed models. They've given me the bug to want to build something else - I hope to start on some military vehicles soon.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM

Nice work on the layering, it really adds to the visual impact!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks! Yes, but it's easy to get carried away. For the current building, I have bricks at different layers - I toyed with the idea of indenting the mortar between the bricks, but I've held of on that one as if I play with every idea on one model, it will never be finished!
Google Adsense
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The buildings look great. As for layering. The timber work is best if layered at least 3X depending on the paper weight. Layer the window as as well by cutting out the trimming. Now if you want to work on the bricks, Embossing is best on a felt pad and going along the brick grooves. This method will alleviate the constant cutting and pasting of the bricks. Waiting to see more. See you around in the forums.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the tip about embossing on felt - that was what I meant about the mortar, but the word didn't pop into my head. I will leave cutting out every single brick and tile for my retirement years...

I guess it doesn't show too clearly on the photos, but on the MkIV Hovel, the window frames are raised above the wall beams. For the work-in-progress photos of the Low Street Tenement building, I hadn't yet stuck on the window frames extra layers. I have just finished that one, bar the lantern. I'll stick the pictures up soon - which board is best the place?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Go to forums and post your pictures or build thread in the Architecture section.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:14 PM

Hello again!

I signed up over a decade a go, but since then the email service I used, died. So when I came back, I wasn't able to verify my old account, so I just played with numbers and letters :D
Old 04-12-2023, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.38 MB
Glad to have you back!