PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 12-08-2007, 01:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lightbulb Hello everyone, Just a Question

HelloYou all

I'm new here in the forum and in the paper modeling world too, I haven't post yet but I'd been arround for a while looking and enjoing all your work.

But I doubt came to me, How far can you go to modify a model, from the print to the final stuff ?, I mean, it's a good practice paint o weathering the model? ( like in plastics models) it's important do that or it's better keep the parts just like the come in the kit or printer.

What do you think about that ?

That's all Folks

Best regards
JSTM
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I say you just do what suits you best! Some models are weathered and don't need much of that, other models are not weathered and maybe need some enhancement.
I will say anything goes,just go ahead and have fun with whatever you do
Old 12-08-2007, 07:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I think it's some sort of religious thing in plastic models to weather them. My interest is AFVs from the 1930s onwards. In WW2 most vehicles hardly lasted long enough to be significantly weathered. For example the US Army 3rd Armored Division had an establishment of 232 M4 Shermans. From D-day until the end of the war the division suffered some 700 combat damaged and 640 destroyed tanks. So the average time a Sherman could be expected to last in service was about 50 days - hardly time to be weathered.

Weathering is a personal choice (imho) in papermodels - no-one will give you a hard time if you like factory fresh models.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-08-2007, 11:51 AM

And the life expectancy of a P-51 was 50 hours. A B-17 was expected to hit 100. That was the designed expectancy, not a combat attrition forecast. That's at most 2 oil-changes

WWII lasted approx 2500 days (ETO) there were approx. 35000 Bf109's built which works out to an average of a 14 per day, or a 1.7hr life. Granted some lasted considerably longer than that, but for the most part the paint was never completely dry<g>
Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating statistics!

And yet, some of those vehicles and birds outlasted their expected life spans so as to end up very scratched, faded, and beaten up. And Japanese paint seems to have weathered very quickly, judging from the photos.

Tanks weather up pretty quickly, too. A couple of hours in mud and/or dust will dirty them up pretty quickly.

So the modeler has a lot of options, and justification for zero, mild, medium, or heavy weathering.
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Drivel...,

So, from the foregoing information, we should model landscapes littered with realistic looking war ravaged or operator error type wreckage because that's where the greatest percentage ends up, or, upon further inspection, row upon row of mothballed vehicles required as a parts supply depot to keep the present peace time forces in fighting fit, or of a junkyard scene with some guy with a torch dismembering the machines for recycling as scrap...,

This could go somewhere! Just think; "A Big Green War Machine'...., Be a great way to put an old Sherman back into vogue...,

Now where was I...,

Begs the question, "Is War the direct result of operator error?"...,

+Gil
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 PM

All of the above would make interesting models if done right. Davis-Monthan now, or the reclamation centre in Kingman AZ circa 1946 would be a challenge. FTM the last 25000 109's were made with a lot of aluminium smelted in the USA thanks to a vigorous recovery and recycling programme

One of the last p*****c models I built for a contest was an absolutely brand new Bf109G-6. How new? No weathering, grease pencil WNr on the tail and chalked code on the side. Canopy, cowling and tyres were swaddled in the factory produced covers.
It was a response to P-51 at the previous meet that had been weathered to the point of a court-martial offence<g>

Back to the original posters question. You can do as much or as little weathering as you like, although the techniques will have to be a little different that plastic. Dirty thinner washes and paper structures don't go together well. Chalks and pastels are fine and dandy.
One of the things I like most about paper modeling is that I no longer need to keep stocks of paint, putty, solvents and the like around. Everything I use could be safely (if not tastefully) stirred into a coffee cup (Which happened more often than I like to recall painting figures)
Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Fascinating statistics!

And yet, some of those vehicles and birds outlasted their expected life spans so as to end up very scratched, faded, and beaten up. And Japanese paint seems to have weathered very quickly, judging from the photos.

Tanks weather up pretty quickly, too. A couple of hours in mud and/or dust will dirty them up pretty quickly.

So the modeler has a lot of options, and justification for zero, mild, medium, or heavy weathering.
I think that was the point I was trying to make.....

The pl****c community seems to have gone into a reality disconnect area as far as weathering goes.

The amount of weathering on AFVs is dependent on the paint system used. The US and (I think) the Russians in WW2 used a system like baked enamel (no prime coat) which is very resistant to fade and solvents.

I read somewhere that Japanese aircraft camouflage paint flaked off because the operational units weren't supplied with the correct undercoat to passivate the Aluminium.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Charlie. I don't recall coming across the undercoat explanation before, but it makes a lot of sense. Japanese aircraft paint wore off extraordinarily quickly in the field and factory-painted aircraft seem to have been less prone to that effect, at least until very late in the war.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Aluminium can be tricky to paint even under good conditions. Chromate based primers were the only thing that worked back then. But chromium and zinc are strategic materials (Japan had effectively none) that were better used in industries other than paint.

Today there are non-chromate primers that work, but the road getting there was rocky. I recall TWA having some massive paint failures in the late 80's where huge areas of paint were just blowing off the airplanes