PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-16-2007, 07:51 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Dirt on your Admin

Hi all,

I thought I would share some of my background, interests and the like, so for those who are new, get to know who and what I am, and for those who know me, my commisserations.

I have been modeling/model building since I was 10 years old, a nice 1:72 F16 and ground crew from Monogram, if I recall.
In that time, before I came back to the US, I built plastic as well as paper models, the paper models consisted of various barns found in the Netherlands, and these models were on the back of the Hot Cereals we used to eat, I ended up with about 6 or 8 barns, even one of the large Dairy manufacturers had paper models, mostly of their trucks.

When I was a bit older, two models that i worked on stand out in my memory, an offshore drilling rig, my dad got me that one, from his dealings with a company that provided equipment to the oil and gas and chemical industries.
The other model was of a KLM DC-2 named "De Uiver"(The Stork), it was a premium model from the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the London to Melbourne race in 1934.
I was almost done with the bird, only props and wheels left, when in a fit my brother destroyed the model.
Lucky for me, my parents visited the Netherlands back in 2005, and were able to pick up two copies for me from the Air Museum in Lelystad.

Forward to the present day, you have my current paper model addiction to thank on Lauren(Ashrunner), he mentioned to me that he was building paper models, and I was like, I used to do that, and then the rest they say is history.

My interests in subject matter vary, I love to model vehicles, usually modern day stuff, and especially anything of a racing bent.
I do collect and intend to build helicopters, and F-14 Tomcat models.

But most people know what my main passion is, Dakar, the race, the legend.
I have virtually all the dakar models which have been released, there are a couple of models of which I would like to have a second copy.

My biggest guilty pleasure in paper modeling is/are designer toys.
Paper toys released by graphic artists, Like NiceBunny, Brickboy, Cardboy, and the Readymech series.
I have built quite a number of Brickboys, and I have also built and collected the Antlor line of heads.

In my non paper modeling times I have started to turn wood, mostly pens, will be going for a week long class to learn how to turn bowls, platters and other things.
I have built and flown successfully my own kites, and tossed my own made boomerangs.

I also like to throw down a good jigsaw puzzle now and again.

I like to watch racing, not so much the 2 wheel kind.

I collect baseball caps, tie/hat pins, Star Trek xmas ornaments.

I hope this is enough dirt for all on me.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Haha Star Trek ornaments! Never seen those, but me and my brother do own a lot of Trek action figures...

I have a really awesome F-14 kit, though I'm sure you have it.
It's a 2001 Halinski release, and I also have the 1996 or something, but its much less detailed. The 2001 has all sorts of stuff, like the pilot's ladder, air brake, and some other cool details.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Kinda cool to hear other people's story about how they got here! Also, their other hobbies and interests! Of course, your Dakar addiction is well known! :D
Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Wow, the Monogram F-16 at 10 years old. Man, I feel old now. Thanks Rick.

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.02 MB
Rick,
I think I was about 15 when I built the Monogram F-14 Tomcat. Probably still have the pieces of it around somewhere in a box. Never did build the F-16 though. Built some Revell stuff too, like the F-4, when I was around 10, with hand painted camouflage.

It seemed like the aircraft canopies always ended up in a blob of glue just before I was going to install them. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like cardmodeling. The glue is not as nasty and I can always print new parts if I lose one or mess one up.

Roger
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Star Trek ornaments? I WANT some too!

Carl
Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Whenever I read " Dirt" in a title about someone, I imagine Woodstock, drugs, and promiscuity. I am happy to read this was not the case! lol

I used to collect hats of all kinds, at one time I had 136, and I wore them all.
Most were baseball caps, but I really miss my Stetson.