PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Howdy from Alabama

I'm primarily a plastic modeler but I have built a few paper models and I am currently designing a model that I think lends itself to paper construction. We'll see how it turns out.
Google Adsense
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Welcome aboard and post some pictures of your venture into paper modeling. Be advised, that many of us here started with paper and many have not gone back to plastic. See you around in the forums.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome - it's the model, not the medium but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you can do with naturally nano-engineered carbon fiber composites.

Yogi
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the welcomes. I will post pictures of my project when I have enough to be worth looking at. In the meantime, if you don't mind plastic models, I have pictures of some of my models posted here: Picasa Web Albums - Dan
Old 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Welcome mate. As Yogi stated "its the model not the medium". Like many here, we started in Plastic Modelling. After playing with paper for a few weeks now I am begging to understand that I need to look at the paper as a medium and not as a piece of paper. Now I sand, glue, scrape, colour, paint and anything else I used to do with plastic. Indeed the paper has a life of it's own - but different to plastic.

Anyhoo hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to seeing some pictures of the model.

Cheers
Jim
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
Welcome mate. As Yogi stated "its the model not the medium". Like many here, we started in Plastic Modelling. After playing with paper for a few weeks now I am begging to understand that I need to look at the paper as a medium and not as a piece of paper. Now I sand, glue, scrape, colour, paint and anything else I used to do with plastic. Indeed the paper has a life of it's own - but different to plastic.

Anyhoo hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to seeing some pictures of the model.

Cheers
Jim

Thanks. And I agree completely with the point about it being the model and not the medium. It would probably be fair to say I work in mixed media since I frequently use wood, metal, paper and anything else that is at hand. And when I first started modeling as a kid (about seven years old) my models were made from the cardboard I salvaged from cereal boxes. I guess that was a form of paper modeling, too. Only, the cardboard didn't have any model parts printed on it. The outlines of the parts were in my head and I just cut the cardboard until it fit.

If anyone is interested, I have pictures of some models I've built posted here: Picasa Web Albums - Dan