PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 06-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Long time lurker, first time poster

Greetings from Metro Manila, Philippines!

I've been lurking here in this great forum for a while now and I figure I'd post and say hi to all of you.

Reading threads here have taught me a lot of things and helped me improve my skills, although I don't think I'm up to par with most of you yet. :D

Started making paper models about a year ago when someone recommended it to me as a way to keep my focus off a bad breakup. I mostly do Gundam Models and stuff I find on the 'net, mostly cause I have no ability to buy models online and there aren't any being sold in my immediate area. I have seen kits I want to buy if I get the chance to.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. :D
Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Welcome aboard and hope to see some of your works soon. If you are artistically incline, Make some of your own designs. I assume that since you have been lurking you have enjoyed the forums. It is time to get your feet wet and see you around in the forums.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Hi kourin!
Welcome aboard. I think a hobby like ours is great therapy for things like break-ups. I know it worked for me.

Bob
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM

I'll post some pictures once a get a half-decent camera.
I could try designing models, I do have some stuff I want to see a model of and can't find one. It's sort of intimidating though, I have no experience in 3D modelling.

Yeah, paper modelling has got me through those dark days; kept my mind focused and my hands busy. :D
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
3D is the future of designing models, but I am old school and still do them with pen. ink, paper, ruler, protractor, compass and a lot of imagination. Make some simply models by hand, then scan them. Use paint or another art program to smooth or straighten the edges and use the basic colors at first. Paint Shop pro is a good start program before you move on to photo shop or other more layer intense programs. It is not as hard as you think.
Google Adsense
Old 07-01-2010, 10:58 AM

I've been using Photoshop for coloring my drawings, but I never knew you could use it to help you design models. Thanks a lot for the helpful tips, I'll have to try them out when I get the free time.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 PM

welcome kabayan! glad to know some Pinoys here :D
finishing a kit is the BEST THING!:D
Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome! You can use just about any graphics/drawing program to design your models (even us that use protractors and long division). All the program does is allow you to precisely size the parts and position graphics and cut/fold lines. Most are also great for duplicating multiple parts and flipping them (mirroring for the other side). The only thing they don't do well is complex (as is not flat sided or conic section) curved surfaces - but you can work those out with test parts and then trace/scan in the final bits.
Yogi
Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 135.14 MB
As desney said, welcome kabayan. This place is a very helpful place to start with your hobby. If you have any questions, just ask and a lot of fellow modelers here are willing to help. Hmm, Caloocan, not far from where I use to live. hope to hear from you soon and see your builds and designs.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Greetings! Welcome aboard!
- Eric
Google Adsense