PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Hello from Zambia

I've taken the unprecidented step of actually trying to craft an avitar so now I'd thought it was time to introduce myself.

I'm an American working in Zambia. Usually expats work in two areas here in Zambia either in the diplomatic/government area or the church area. I work in the latter teaching at our Lutheran Church in Central Africa Seminary here in Lusaka.

I got into paper modeling via the internet (the really slow dial up kind :() as a diversion. Much of the paper modeling technology fits nicely into what I can sustain here in Zambia. The pleasant surprise is that the end result more often than not far surpasses anything I could have produced in the US of A with a plastic model together with all the assorted paints, air-brushes etc.

I am currently about 80% finished with my Orlik Jelcz Dump truck having invested now about 2 and one half years in the build. I build in 15 minute bursts of energy most often while waiting for my slow dial up internet connection to upload this or that. I've figured that if I at least do something in the course of a day it will eventually get finished and so far it seems to be working, granted very slowly. As I near the end line I've noticed I've started to work more on it especially since now it's actually looking like a truck instead of some abandoned and stripped derelect one so often sees lying around Zambia.

I look forward to visiting this new site.

Phil
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wow, Zambia! I imagine that it is really humid there? If so, does it cause you issues with your build by affecting the paper? Since taking up the hobby again I have thought about the long months that I spent in places in Central America without electricity, etc. and many long nights that I could have used a diversion such as this. I'll enjoy hearing your experiences.

Carl
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Welcome Phil,
We have at least 2 things in common!!
Can't wait to see that truck!
Phil

Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM

Welcome! I haven't started my Orlik dump truck yet and would be interested in any advice regarding construction.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Thanks all for the welcome!

Carl the weather in Zambia is usually what everyone would wish their living room temperature should be. We're semi-tropical and 4000 foot above sea level here in Lusaka. Temps are usually in the 70's and the humidity is not usally an issue until the onset of the rains in November. Even then its nothing to compare with the jungle like humidity of midwest of the USA in the summer time.

Phil
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Hmmm...that sounds like a good coffee-growing environment. Do you know if that is a local crop?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Welcome, Phil! Cool to have a member living in Zambia! I lived in Kenya for two and a half years.... About a mile high, so the weather was pretty nice most of the year, until the rainy seasons.... One year it started pouring the end of April and did not stop until the first week of June (I mean 24/7!). Loved it, though!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Ooo Zambia.
I was cheering for its U-20 Soccer team recently.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
Hmmm...that sounds like a good coffee-growing environment. Do you know if that is a local crop?
Coffee as a commercial enterprise has started to take off in the last few years here in Zambia. Its nothing like our neighbors to the north in Kenya or Ethiopia where the stuff was invented. Unfortunately I've never gotten out of the cola phase for my stimulants but from what the more informed tell me its good stuff.

Phil
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashster View Post
Welcome, Phil! Cool to have a member living in Zambia! I lived in Kenya for two and a half years.... About a mile high, so the weather was pretty nice most of the year, until the rainy seasons.... One year it started pouring the end of April and did not stop until the first week of June (I mean 24/7!). Loved it, though!
Talk about a Noah experience We're a lot dryer to the south. We only have the one rainy season from November to April. I don't think I've ever seen it cloudy more than 3 days in a row during a rainy season in my 16 years of living here.
Phil
Google Adsense