PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
New Rookie from New Jersey USA

Good morning folks, as way of intro I am a RR modeler and usually work in wood. I decided to sign up after seeing Doris's boats made of paper and am looking for any intro style(Beginner) thread(s) to help learn how to work with paper to make ships. Going to do a little snooping around now that I can see the rest of the pics in the threads. Thanks for having me, Pat
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Welcome aboard, Pat! You will need to learn a lot before you can do the kind of work that Doris does, but if you have the patience and attention to detail needed for railroad modeling in any material you are well on your way already.

As for models on which to learn basic techniques, I would suggest that you check out the Downloads section here and download a few models that appeal to you. (Try the Links section too; there you can get access to hundreds of free download models.)

You can open the files, look at the instructions, look at the parts all you wish without spending a nickel on ink or paper. Then when you find one you like, print it out and start.

After building a few simple models you will be ready to tackle some more challenging projects. If you get stuck or are unsure of how to do something, please post a question on the forum; somebody will answer.

And keep your eyes on the build threads. We have some World-Class modelers who post in this forum and their build threads are an absolute wealth of helpful technique and information.

I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Thomas
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Welcome aboard and you will enter into a new way of looking at paper, it is not just for writing any more. As mentioned by Meeks, check out the freebies here and in the links. If you are into sci-fi, there are many build threads on the Star Trek ships as well as Star Wars. There have been a couple of threads on RR engines but they unfortunately have not been kept up. While I am not a Rail head, there is a need for Railroaders here. I am sure that you will like it here for the wealth of information, tutorials and help when needed. See you around in the forums.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ultra
welcome in man

i hope u have a lot of good info here

and as meek said you'll find some wrold class modelers here

ultra stone
Old 07-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Eternal Member

Welcome pat, the ship section has some nighty good build threads that explain the many build methods there is and some have shown little methods they use to produce the magic.
Google Adsense
Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM

do the models have to be ships?
On hold: SS Heart of Gold
Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Welcome on board Pat. Doris is one hell of a model maker and one we all look up to, there's a long road to go down before anyone could get close to her standards. Have fun learning the techniques and getting to know paper intimately and you will go a long way. Our Thomas Meek gave you great advice. Look forward to seeing you around the forum.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Welcome from NJ, too, and hope you have a wonderful time here.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
do the models have to be ships?
Squirrel, it is the subject matter that has been really hard for me to get right in wood, I was hoping by trying to figure out how to create the ships hulls with paper it might better serve me when I do them in wood. Plans for free ships are far and few in between by my searches, any help in this venture would be most appreciated. I'm really looking for a schooner of about 100' that was used to haul lumber/wood. Pat
Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 AM

Thanks all for the welcome and the direction to use the forum. I will take a better look around today and see if can find a project that fits the bill. Pat
Google Adsense