PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > The Welcome Desk

Old 08-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 588.7 KB
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitejd
Hi to everyone

Hi:
I am new to paper modeling and have only completed a (very) few models that were very simple. This looks like a place where some very good modelers hang out and a place where I can learn and improve. Thanks for providing the opportunity and this site.

Jerry
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
welcome to the board, take a seat and have a look around ask questions someone may be building what you got in the to build pile
Old 08-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Welcome on board the good ship PM DOT COM - a fine crew with lots to offer. Look forward to seeing some of your work Jerry
Old 08-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Welcome, Jerry! Browse the build threads for ideas and inspiration - but go ahead and post your build, too.
Yogi
Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Jerry,
Welcome to the site and thanks for joining! Always like to hear from new members!

Hope you enjoy the site as much as I have!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 588.7 KB
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitejd
Thank you all......I finished the Mortar Boat No. 10 from Paper Shipwright (my first attempt at paper modeling ever) and am now working on a simple Sopwith Camel from RecorteCole - Montagem de Miniaturas em Papel. It is a small plane and has very few parts so it looked like a good beginners project. I am having problems cutting the curves (wheels, prop, rounded edges) and rolling tubes. I also have the problem of wanting going to fast and wanting to see the project finished now. I must learn to slow down. I plan on going back and building a second Mortar Boat No. 10 to improve my skills (or just to see if I am improving) after I finish the Camel. Thanks for the encourgenment and all the great models you have at this site.

I do have a few questions an am not sure where I should ask them. Questions such as, what do you do about the white edge of the paper that shows after you have built the model? I attempted to use water colors and just made a mess of the Camel (an good reason for me to try to build it again). I will upload photos of the Boat #10 completed and the Camel in work....all comments and criticisms are welcome and will add to my knowledge (I have been known to learn from my errors).

Thanks again,
Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Hi to everyone-gun-boat-no.-10-first-model-built.jpg   Hi to everyone-gun-boat-no.-10-first-model-i-attempted.jpg   Hi to everyone-camel-work-2ed-model-attempted.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitejd View Post
what do you do about the white edge of the paper that shows after you have built the model?
Thanks again,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.
To answer your question, you will find lots of interesting stuff all over this forum as to what works best. You could try felt pens, (works for me, lots of matchable colours and inexpensive) acrylic paints (use a cocktail stick/toothpick to apply to the edge) and another popular one here is the use of coloured pencils, I am sure that the rest of the members here will enlighten you to all of the proprietary brands.
Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Happy modelling

Bernie
Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Jerry,

Check the different "Tips & Technique" links. You can find them on the Forum page (upper right hand on home page). Tutorials also might cover this.

There happens to be two different threads for the tips so check the designer tips as well.

Basically you can use colored pencils, sharpies etc...Many, many different ways to "Edge Color".

I use water colors, but use them with very little water. Some have used the watercolor pencils with great success.

Mike Bauer

Hope this helps with your question.